List of compatible modems for Fusion X2 pair bonded service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
118 posts Page 12 of 12
by dane » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:52 am
dellsam34 wrote:
So as of April 2019 what compatible wireless router is good for Fusion IP Broadband Residential X2 ? I would like a single box if possible, I don't want a separate wireless router.
Second question, If AT&T is the only wireless modem that works with Sonic, can I buy a used one from ebay to avoid the rental fee?

For our "IP Broadband" services, which use the AT&T Uverse network - AT&T requires the use of the equipment they supply, which is configured and deployed by their technician. They tie this down by using 802.1X port-based network access control - basically a certificate based authentication that's baked into the equipment they supply for that specific circuit. So, for IP Broadband you are limited to the AT&T-supplied equipment - alternative equipment simply won't be able to authenticate.
Dane Jasper
CEO
Sonic
by dellsam34 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:59 am
What about a used AT&T box?
by dane » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:09 pm
dellsam34 wrote:
What about a used AT&T box?

I don't think that'll work - but because they require us to pay for the equipment, which they deploy during installation, it wouldn't help economically anyway, we'd still have to charge our equipment fee.
Dane Jasper
CEO
Sonic
by dellsam34 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:34 pm
$65 for high speed cable VS $80 for DSL, I think cancellation is a no brainer.
by Howrad » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 am
I have a router that I'm already happy with, and I'm about to upgrade to Sonic VDSL2. I'm trying to find a VDSL2 modem-only.

There are a few choices for Fusion X-1, but for bonded X-2, I can't find a single modem that isn't also a router. Does it just simply not exist?
by gtwrek » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am
All modem/router units that I'm aware of include the ability to operate in some-sort of "bridge only" mode or similar. Modern use-cases are labeled "DMZ" or "DMZ Plus". These aren't exactly the same under the covers as a bridge, but in the end you end up with the same result - your WAN IP is passed through to your own router, which then manages connections as appropriate.

Regards,
Mark
by howrad » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:33 am
@gtwrek, I know, but a true modem-only would theoretically be cheaper, smaller, and maybe use less electricity.
by gtwrek » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:58 am
Here's where "in theory", and "in practice" fork. Integration, Integration, Integration

These modem/router combo boxes are basically a small Analog Front End, then followed by a SOC chip.

The SOC has PLENTY of room / processing bandwidth these days to do both the functions of just a bare bridge, a bare bridge with a DHCP server, A router, NAT, etc, etc.. And probably a lot more. There's just no market for a device, that at its low level is capable of doing all those things, but only does the most basic.

So I guess the answer to your original question, is no, the device you're looking for no-longer exists in the marketplace.

Regards,
Mark
118 posts Page 12 of 12