List of compatible modems for Fusion X2 pair bonded service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
120 posts Page 12 of 12
by dane » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:52 am
dellsam34 wrote:So as of April 2019 what compatible wireless router is good for Fusion IP Broadband Residential X2 ? I would like a single box if possible, I don't want a separate wireless router.
Second question, If AT&T is the only wireless modem that works with Sonic, can I buy a used one from ebay to avoid the rental fee?
For our "IP Broadband" services, which use the AT&T Uverse network - AT&T requires the use of the equipment they supply, which is configured and deployed by their technician. They tie this down by using 802.1X port-based network access control - basically a certificate based authentication that's baked into the equipment they supply for that specific circuit. So, for IP Broadband you are limited to the AT&T-supplied equipment - alternative equipment simply won't be able to authenticate.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dellsam34 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:59 am
What about a used AT&T box?
by dane » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:09 pm
dellsam34 wrote:What about a used AT&T box?
I don't think that'll work - but because they require us to pay for the equipment, which they deploy during installation, it wouldn't help economically anyway, we'd still have to charge our equipment fee.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dellsam34 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:34 pm
$65 for high speed cable VS $80 for DSL, I think cancellation is a no brainer.
by Howrad » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:03 am
I have a router that I'm already happy with, and I'm about to upgrade to Sonic VDSL2. I'm trying to find a VDSL2 modem-only.

There are a few choices for Fusion X-1, but for bonded X-2, I can't find a single modem that isn't also a router. Does it just simply not exist?
by gtwrek » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 am
All modem/router units that I'm aware of include the ability to operate in some-sort of "bridge only" mode or similar. Modern use-cases are labeled "DMZ" or "DMZ Plus". These aren't exactly the same under the covers as a bridge, but in the end you end up with the same result - your WAN IP is passed through to your own router, which then manages connections as appropriate.

Regards,
Mark
by howrad » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:33 am
@gtwrek, I know, but a true modem-only would theoretically be cheaper, smaller, and maybe use less electricity.
by gtwrek » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:58 am
Here's where "in theory", and "in practice" fork. Integration, Integration, Integration

These modem/router combo boxes are basically a small Analog Front End, then followed by a SOC chip.

The SOC has PLENTY of room / processing bandwidth these days to do both the functions of just a bare bridge, a bare bridge with a DHCP server, A router, NAT, etc, etc.. And probably a lot more. There's just no market for a device, that at its low level is capable of doing all those things, but only does the most basic.

So I guess the answer to your original question, is no, the device you're looking for no-longer exists in the marketplace.

Regards,
Mark
by leeep » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:39 pm
Since there hasn't really been a summary update or useful information in this very old thread since circa Dec 2018... are there any updates/additions to the below list? Assuming Sonic can indeed provision my location with Fusion X2, I'll start perusing eBay for used gear (since all of this stuff is ooooooooooooold tech).

What make/model is Sonic issuing as the "rental" Fusion X2 CPE at this time?

At present, I'm using a DLink DSL-520B without issue on Fusion X1 service, but this one won't do bonding. I run my own standalone router/wifi so I would not need those bells/whistles on the modem itself, nor would I care to utilize it if available.

Thanks for any (updated) information!
smjones wrote:(Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:40 am)
This thread really went all over the map in 22 months. Let's summarize: The following modems/routers are said to work with Sonic xDSL Fusion X2:

Actiontec V2000H Reported working but possibly some (unrelated?) line issues

Kasda KW5225 Reported here and elsewhere; may require firmware update
Kasda KW5226 Reported working; may require firmware update

Zhone 6728-W1 Reported working
Zhone 6729-W1 (No reports for X2, just X1 - but it's just a 6728 with WiFi...)

Speculative: Actiontec C2000A. It has the right specs, and explicitly includes bonding as opposed to related VDSL models, e.g. C1000A. Edit: Subsequently I got a C2000A, and it's working. See next post.

There was mention in this thread of the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 D7000 as having worked, but Netgear's spec sheet explicitly says it "does not support bonded VDSL."
tovbinm wrote:(Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:21 pm)
I can confirm that ZyXEL VMG4825-B10A works just fine with VDSL connection.
All you need to do is to set "ADSL/VDSL over PTM" with "Routing" and "IPoE" in WAN interface settings.
giannicolamarino wrote:(Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:44 am)
Renting a Sonic gateway is not required, but replacement is strongly discouraged, with a notable scarcity of information on compatible equipment. Sonic does benefit from the rental revenue, and the use of Sonic equipment does make support easier, but the equipment is not really standard. The overwhelming majority of ADSL deployments and retail ADSL equipment are ATM, and that used to be the case with Sonic, but since the partnership with AT&T in 2015, Sonic has been deploying PTM, which isn't supported by most retail ADSL modems.

What will work on Sonic Fusion x1 service in PTM mode, as a replacement for the Sonic/Pace 4111N Gateway, is the Netgear DM200 Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem. The trick is to (1) manually put the DM200 in VDSL mode rather than ADSL (ATM) mode, and (2) have Sonic Support put the line into VDSL/ADSL mode rather than ADSL mode. On such a switch recently, it was possible to increase sync by 40%, a huge improvement. The wireless router part of the replacement is an ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router, which has greatly improved speed and range over the 4111N.

Hope that helps,
John Navas [technical contact posting from client account]

p.s. Be sure to update both the DM200 and RT-AC68U to the latest firmware.
---
...on Sonic.net since 2011...
by leeep » Wed May 13, 2020 7:58 pm
Short update.

I procured a Zyxel C3000Z from a friend who used to be with CenturyLink. It seems to work fine in LLC-Bridging mode on my existing single pair service. I disabled all the router and wifi functions and fed it into my standalone Tomato-based router and Ubiquiti WAP without issues thus far.

Sonic is still working on provisioning my second wire pair for Fusion X2 bonded service due to some annoying incompetence by the AT&T side (as usual). Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

For anyone else in this situation, the equipment Sonic shipped me by default for X2 is the Pace 5268AC. Once I confirm the C3000Z is working properly, the Sonic rep said they will send a shipping label to return their equipment since there was no way to fulfill the order without shipping out the equipment from the get-go. Seems silly and wasteful, but OK.

More soon.
---
...on Sonic.net since 2011...
120 posts Page 12 of 12