List of compatible modems for Fusion X2 pair bonded service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
120 posts Page 11 of 12
by bbass408 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:06 pm
I just had good success with the Zyxel 4825 - used on eBay. (Same as one of the CenturyLinks I think...)
I had to change the VCI/PCI settings to 0 and 35. (Type those in the gui from left to right. Not sure which goes with VPI and which goes with VCI.) One downer on the modem is it's got connection limits all over the place with limits like 25 and 32 which puts a cramp on lots of IP connected crap. But, I'll use my saved rental fees for a cool in-house router.
It's model number from the web UI ends in B10A.
by guest » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:48 am
Regarding the connection or other limits that you mentioned were applicable to the Zyxel 4825:
Would any of those limits be encountered if the user used a separate router, and used the Zyxel 4825 only in bridge mode (or transparent mode)?

(I have a separate router, so I am only seeking a good modem to use in bridge mode for Fusion X2.)
by ngufra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:38 am
After registering to DZS, i could get an updated firmware from feb 2018

Anyone interested ?
by gulshan0005 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:04 am
good information
by tovbinm » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:21 pm
I can confirm that ZyXEL VMG4825-B10A works just fine with VDSL connection.
All you need to do is to set "ADSL/VDSL over PTM" with "Routing" and "IPoE" in WAN interface settings.
by solar.ks » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:37 am
I have been a long time Sonic customer.
I like Sonic, but hate AT&T.
The required rental of CPE is no different than what AT&T did with telephone equipment. You were forced to "lease" their equipment for generations until they were forced to define the standard for others. This is free money for them. I've had Fusion for 3 years or so. At ~9 per month x 36 is ~$330.

They make the same claim that they have always made; "protection of their network", etc.
The equipment is standard, they just want the cash cow.
by baggins » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:27 am
solar.ks wrote:I have been a long time Sonic customer.
The required rental of CPE is no different than what AT&T did with telephone equipment. You were forced to "lease" their equipment for generations until they were forced to define the standard for others. This is free money for them. I've had Fusion for 3 years or so. At ~9 per month x 36 is ~$330.

They make the same claim that they have always made; "protection of their network", etc.
Well, actually you are mistaken.
You are right about "Ma Bell" but the Sonic story is much more complicated.
(I had Sonic DSL for years, right now I have "Fusion X1" at one location and "Fusion Broadband Business Dual Line" at home. I have my own modems at each location, but if Sonic upgrades the DSLAM in my CO, or if the fibre AT&T is pulling on my street this week finally goes online and Sonic resells it, I will need a rental modem.)

Sonic provides several different internet service technologies - copper wire services including"dial-up", traditional "DSL-over-voice", "Fusion" (available on one or two 'dry' copper pairs, using either Asynchronous Transfer Mode or Packet Transfer Mode); and optical fibre services using either Sonic’s own "Gigabit" fibre to the home infrastructure or AT&T’s Fibre to the Node "Uverse". The ability to "push" updates and configuration changes to Customer Premise Equipment offers significant advantages to the end user. Diagnosis and repair of more issues can be managed remotely, reducing service calls.

Sonic is very transparent about this, though they much prefer that we use their modem they allow customer owned equipment where technologically feasible (DSL and Copper Fusion) and even host this forum topic. The "own equipment" option is at https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Equipment_P ... _Customers
Thomas McIntyre
Baggins@well.com
Support Camp Mather
http://www.campmather.com/
by giannicolamarino » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:44 am
solar.ks wrote:I have been a long time Sonic customer.
Renting a Sonic gateway is not required, but replacement is strongly discouraged, with a notable scarcity of information on compatible equipment. Sonic does benefit from the rental revenue, and the use of Sonic equipment does make support easier, but the equipment is not really standard. The overwhelming majority of ADSL deployments and retail ADSL equipment are ATM, and that used to be the case with Sonic, but since the partnership with AT&T in 2015, Sonic has been deploying PTM, which isn't supported by most retail ADSL modems.

What will work on Sonic Fusion x1 service in PTM mode, as a replacement for the Sonic/Pace 4111N Gateway, is the Netgear DM200 Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem. The trick is to (1) manually put the DM200 in VDSL mode rather than ADSL (ATM) mode, and (2) have Sonic Support put the line into VDSL/ADSL mode rather than ADSL mode. On such a switch recently, it was possible to increase sync by 40%, a huge improvement. The wireless router part of the replacement is an ASUS RT-AC68U AC1900 Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router, which has greatly improved speed and range over the 4111N.

Hope that helps,
John Navas [technical contact posting from client account]

p.s. Be sure to update both the DM200 and RT-AC68U to the latest firmware.

Attachments

by dellsam34 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:47 pm
So as of April 2019 what compatible wireless router is good for Fusion IP Broadband Residential X2 ? I would like a single box if possible, I don't want a separate wireless router.
Second question, If AT&T is the only wireless modem that works with Sonic, can I buy a used one from ebay to avoid the rental fee?
by dellsam » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:59 pm
I called the CS and told them to show me what 3rd party wireless modems that works with the service if not I'm cancelling this shit. I paid $80 for crappy connection, crappy wifi. I was paying only $70 for fast internet and consistent wifi.
120 posts Page 11 of 12