List of compatible modems for Fusion X2 pair bonded service

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
120 posts Page 6 of 12
by dane » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:07 pm
polpo wrote:Perhaps Sonic doesn't have a list of modems known to be compatible that one can buy because they only ones they know to be compatible are the ones they rent?
Bingo. We're not going to test the full known universe of potential CPE, because we have an integrated and managed solution that works well.

We did put out an RFP recently for a UDSL bonding modem with 802.11AC and we got a response from Actiontec where they offered up a unit they said would work for our network, but to date we haven't seen the hardware ourselves.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:30 pm
ryanca wrote:In *THEORY*, a Zhone 6228-i3-200 should work.

http://www.zhone.com/products/6228-I3/6228-I3.pdf
http://www.aztekcomputers.com/6228I3200 ... 22809.html

I have not tried one, though.

A Motorola/Arris NVG589 or NVG599 also may work, but finding one with non-AT&T firmware is probably going to be *very* difficult.

I have successfully configured a zhone 6729 with VDSL (1 line)
Remove all WAN connections, add a single PTM connection.
Nothing special; it just works.
by darkzone » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:35 pm
I'm currently using a ZyXEL P-873HNUP-51B on bonded ADSL2+ (ATM mode). While it does support PTM mode and VDSL2, it looks like it's been discontinued :( I may try and replace it with a VMG4325/VMG4380/VMG4381 if I can find one.
by parker_day » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:42 pm
I picked up a Kasda 5226 which supports PTM and bonding VDSL2. I have Fusion X2 VDSL using 17a. The Kasda syncs at about the same speed as the Pace 5168N 103305kbps down/66942kbps up. The problem I'm having is no matter what I try, I can't get usable upload speeds. I can download at about 96Mbps, but if I try to upload anything it times out and fails.

I'll do more investigating.
by parker_day » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:39 pm
I think the problem I'm having with the Kasda 5226 is that it will only connect with Path0 (Fastpath) and not Path1 (Interleave). Nothing I do seems to convince it to connect when only Path1 in enabled. This means that my uploads stall out if the begin at all. Downloads work fine, oddly enough. Here are one of my line stats from the Kasda (forgot to get the second line before disconnecting it, but it was largely the same):

I guess I'll have to return the modem, but it's a bit frustrating since it really does seem to work beside this one major glitch. It's probably the same with the Kasda 5225.
by glad5tone » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:43 pm
darkzone wrote:I'm currently using a ZyXEL P-873HNUP-51B on bonded ADSL2+ (ATM mode). While it does support PTM mode and VDSL2, it looks like it's been discontinued :( I may try and replace it with a VMG4325/VMG4380/VMG4381 if I can find one.
I have a spare ZyXEL P-873HNUP-51B for sale if anyone's interested. (just needs a power adapter) text Colin @ 415.448.7357
by parker_day » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:05 pm
I'm happy to report that with a firmware update the Kasda KW5226 DOES work with Sonic x2 VDSL (at least in bridge mode). The firmware update is hard to get because Kasda doesn't make them public, but I was able to get it through my Amazon seller. Here is the firmware for anyone else who needs it (151112 build):
https://app.box.com/s/3t0qs8o7o8kmlh2xau7pmh14hukaz5rt

Speeds are the same as the Pace 5168N I was using before it:
by Guest » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:20 pm
parker_day wrote:I'm happy to report that with a firmware update the Kasda KW5226 DOES work with Sonic x2 VDSL (at least in bridge mode). The firmware update is hard to get because Kasda doesn't make them public, but I was able to get it through my Amazon seller. Here is the firmware for anyone else who needs it (151112 build):
https://app.box.com/s/3t0qs8o7o8kmlh2xau7pmh14hukaz5rt
+1 Thanks for sharing.
by Ghostwriter » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:51 pm
Why don't you just SELL the darn modems? Why would I want to rent one? No one wants to rent one. Who rents when you can own?
by pockyken007 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:41 pm
Buying a modem would be a one time payment but it doesn't cover let's say 5-10 tech roll outs to a person who needs them to fix their service with a monthly fee they are having revenue stream coming in and sure I can see how having everybody use the same modem for the service makes it easier on sonic side to troubleshoot issues and streamline the process which in the end benefits you the end user because the less time CS has to spend on the phone with one customer troubleshooting issues the more time they have for you to troubleshoot your issue . Also with the 13$ revenue it covers some of the rolls outs for techs and I assume whatever surplus they have they can invest in better infrastructure , training etc .

Now let's look at one time payment ... you might pay once and have superb service with no issues or you can pay once and have 10 roll outs to fix your issues with 10 roll outs the cost of a roll out would out-weight the cost of the modem making it not profitable for sonic ...

I do agree though they could be more transparent in the total cost saying our service is X + Y modem rental fee from the get go.
120 posts Page 6 of 12