Any projections on last-mile-fiber in San Francisco?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by tbessie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:56 pm
Hey all...

My neighborhood in San Francisco (upper haight/cole valley) is very far from the nearest CO, so speeds have always been not the best.

With Fusion, I'm getting about (theoretically) 0.8Mbps up and 6Mbps down.

I would love to get better upload speeds (and faster downloads would, of course, be nice too).

The only that I think that could happen, given the CO distance, is last-mile fiber installation.

Does Sonic have any plans to do this in any neighborhoods in San Francisco, as far as anyone knows?

- Tim
by dane » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:39 pm
Currently we are focused on completing our build in Sebastopol, then we will assess our next city based upon current Fusion customer quantity. Basically we prove the market with Fusion, then plan to overbuild fiber as an upgrade for those customers.

We've got quite a bit more work to complete in Sebastopol, so the selection of next city isn't happening soon. THAT said, based upon the current rankings, San Francisco is running pretty far down in the pack; around 20th place.

Please bear in mind that fiber to the premise is a long term and capital intensive project, so it will take us a long time to get very many regions built.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tbessie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:14 pm
Hi Dane...

Yeah, I sort of thought so; and also, San Francisco is a big place, so likelihood of my neighborhood getting some (let alone the city itself) is not high.

So San Francisco doesn't have a big Sonic customer base then? I always tell everyone about you guys; convinced my next door neighbor at least. :-)

- Tim
by dane » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:35 pm
No, we have more total customers in SF than anywhere else, but for FTTH, market share matters most.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by paulgreen » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:33 am
Just jumping in on this thread, I know that in our neighborhood (Inner Sunset), when the utilities were undergrounded, fiber was intalled. I believe it was owned by RCN, which is no longer in business. Could Sonic use this existing FTTH in our neighborhood?
by dane » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:01 am
Paul,

No, RCN is now Astound, who uses the fiber to feed their cable TV and Internet product, and who we compete with.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
6 posts Page 1 of 1