New Modem recommendations?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
27 posts Page 1 of 3
by Guest » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:46 pm
Hi:

The "old" modem Sonic sent 2 yrs. ago when I switched is finally failing, so time to replace it. What would you recommend for the DSL line? Honestly, I don't understand what I need to be looking for (I'm a low tech person). Also, it's probably time to switch to wireless. My neighbor's recommendation is to get them separately for more flexibility down the road. Advice is appreciated. Thanks!
by nsmiller » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:32 pm
My Sonic.net issue ZTE 831II died several months ago. I replaced it with a D-Link DSL-520B purchase from Amazon. It is described as a single port router, but I have it set with DHCP disabled; essentially bridge mode. I have an ASUS RT-AC66U connected for routing. Any suitable router could be used in its place.

The DSL-520B can work with ADSL, ADSL2, and ADSL2+:

http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutio ... rnet-modem

I preferred a new, out-of-the-box device. If you want to save a buck, you could get any DSL modem which matches the capabilities of the old one; but $49.99 wasn't out of line. This model is currently on sale at Amazon for $42.99.
by dubose » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:04 pm
DSL-520B setup
Ms. Miller...How hard is it to setup the DSL-520B?? I am not all that technically inclined and the instruction manual manual is 88 pages long and looks pretty daunting. Is this modem pretty much PnP for Sonic, or are there some modifications that have to be made for use with Sonic?? So many of the terms look like Greek to me. Would you consider giving me some assistance in setting up the modem if required?? If so that would be great, if not I would understand as I realize that you are not a "customer service" rep.

Thanking you in advance for any advice you might give me.

Dennis D.
by nsmiller » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:46 pm
I don't know if it would have been "plug'n'play". I ran a patch cord to the modem; just power on the modem, and poked around the pages.

On the "Advanced Setup/WAN" page, I made certain it was in "bridged" mode. Listed in the "Protocol"box. I don't recall the default setting. It might have been, "PPPoE". It is changed by following the "Edit" menus. I also disabled the DHCP server under, "Advanced Setup/LAN".

I don't think I changed anything else; except the default password. "Management/Access Control/Passwords".

There is a menu to activate Annex M, if you are inclined to play; I did not. I think you also have to use the online user Webtools to set it at the Sonic.net end of the loop.

Only after verifying bridged mode, with DHCP, and DNS disabled did I connect to the system at the wall jack.

The DSL-520B did not have any filters, but I had some left over from an ancient Pacific Bell install kit, as well as the failed ZTE 831II install kit. Then I just hooked up the router, and was up and running.

Attachments

by dane » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:38 pm
Choosing the end-to-end supported Sonic modem solution assures compatibility with future features such as IPv6 and IP Television, free on-site support including household wiring repair, and free replacement in case of failure.

https://members.sonic.net/equipment-rental/?a=request
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by nsmiller » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm
I believe my premises wiring is maintained by the property management. My lease specifically prohibits me from tinkering with the facility.

My current rig of D-Link DSL-520B and ASUS RT-AC66U allows me to configure the Sonic.net 6rd tunnel. A couple of firmware versions back, ASUS fixed the limitation which kept me from running the Sonic.net 6in4 tunnel. I can now choose between Sonic.net (6rd, or 6in4) and Hurricane Electric (6in4).

The RT-AC66U has options for IPTV, but I am unlikely to test the function; I have not had a pay TV service in forty-two years (or whenever Gill TV first built out San José), and I am not inclined to start now.
by dane » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:11 pm
All good points, and for someone who wants to DIY, it's certainly an option!

...except for IPTV. When offered, it will require Sonic equipment end to end, including a set-top box and a Sonic modem. Just FYI.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by Guest » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:12 pm
Ms. Miller...Thank you very much for your reply. It was much more than I expected. I will order the new modem and use your suggestions as to programing it.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving day and be careful out there.

Dennis
by Palo Aalto Bill » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:08 am
dane wrote:All good points, and for someone who wants to DIY, it's certainly an option!

...except for IPTV. When offered, it will require Sonic equipment end to end, including a set-top box and a Sonic modem. Just FYI.
Dane, are you implying that IPTV will be coming soon?
by nsmiller » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:07 pm
Guest wrote:Ms. Miller...
I's just an avatar; by one of my favorite manga-ka: Kenji Tsuruta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenji_Tsuruta
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... hp?id=4216
27 posts Page 1 of 3