Old style DSL filter

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by John » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:02 pm
I was one of the first to get DSL in my area. This is back when they install a filter on the outside of the house and only give you one location to plug in your modem. I don't know if this filter is compatible with ADSL2+ that is used on Fusion. Have anyone ran into this before?
by jleake » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 am
This is called an MPOE filter. If the one you have now dates back to your original DSL install, it's too old to be ADSL2+ compatible. You'll need to either replace it with a new, ADSL2+ compatible MPOE filter or remove it and use in-line filters.
Juliana L.
Customer Support, Sonic.net, Inc.
by John » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:36 pm
If i order the full install package from you with a tech visit. Would he also take care of this for me?
by jleake » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:10 am
Yes, that would definitely be part of the full install.
Juliana L.
by Tobester » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:26 pm
I had the same question and issue about a whole-house ADSL compliant splitter being installed back in 2000 and wondering if it would work with Sonic Fusion's ADSL2+ service.

I posted my results on DSLReports.com

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark, ... ++splitter

Yes, it will work, however my speed increased when I purchased and installed an ADSL2+ splitter.

I can also confirm that having a Sonic installer come out will not solve the problem, since Sonic (at the time) did not have any recommendations or install ADSL2+ splitters.
by jleake » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:43 am
Our installers now have ADSL2+ MPOE filters. In cases where they're not necessary, it may be more practical and economical to just bypass the old equipment, but the installers can definitely help you decide on the best option.
Juliana L.
6 posts Page 1 of 1