Fusion availability check tool is misleading

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by jaemoosong » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:50 pm
Having Sonic DSL on ATT phone line, I thought Fusion made a lot of sense - more for less. Checking Fusion availability came back with the message, "Sorry! It looks like you aren't within range for Fusion." I think the message is misleading. I live 2 blocks away from my CO - 2500 ft (direct distance "as the crow flies") or 4500 ft driving distance. And gets stable DSL connection at 6 Mbps (5.2 Mbps speed test). Is Fusion coming to Pleasanton (PLTNCA13)?

The message ("not within range for Fusion") can mislead many potential customers. I suggest the availability check updated to indicate the deployment status(plan if avail) of Fusion in the area.

-Another eager future Fusion customer in Pleasanton
by zbarr » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:58 pm
:?:
I dont think sonic wants to give the competition any easy way of knowing what markets will be getting fusion next...
:?:

would be cool if you could get into a potential fusion database, so sonic could contact you if and when fusion rolls out in your location tho-
by jaemoosong » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:35 pm
I dont think sonic wants to give the competition any easy way of knowing what markets will be getting fusion next...
Good point, but I don't think there is a meaningful competition against Fusion at least in the Bay Area. Who can offer a full-featured phone service and broadband Internet access for $40?

I believe Fusion availability check tool can be improved to give correct reason for non-avaiability - either too far from CO (hopefully including distance) or simply Fusion not deployed in the area yet.
by Johannmsf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:46 pm
would be cool if you could get into a potential fusion database, so sonic could contact you if and when fusion rolls out in your location tho-
I'm in Pleasanton, and I think I put myself on a Fusion notification list a long time ago. The latest features just make me want it even more!
by katleman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:41 am
I agree that it's misleading. Here's what I got

Sorry! It looks like you aren't within range for Fusion.

However, you are only 5900 feet from an AT&T remote terminal, so we can reach you with our traditional AT&T line-shared DSL service. For product information, click the button below and you will be taken to our DSL information pages. We can also notify you if and when Fusion service is available in your area.

I thought Fusion was available up to 9000 feet (according to a Dane post else where) So is it that Fusion isn't available in my area? (SNJSCA12) If so, that's a better message than above.

Torn frankly, yes, I could go with the old DSL, but I don't have a land line, and adding those two together comes out to be more than comcast.
by dane » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:42 pm
Fusion is available in the area served directly by SNJSCA12, for example, and most other Bay Area central office exchanges.

Fusion is not available behind RTs. For more on why, see these two article:

http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/09/02/am ... d-duopoly/
http://corp.sonic.net/ceo/2011/03/05/wh ... s-so-slow/

Perhaps the point I made in these is a bit obtuse, but basically the FCC eliminated access to fiber between the CO and the RT, which a competitor would need in order to build out there. They did this to encourage the incumbent to invest, while assuring them a monopoly (or, duopoly against cable.)

Even with a more enlightened FCC in place today, the damage is done, so Fusion only reaches 60% of homes in the Bay Area.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
6 posts Page 1 of 1