Upgrading to FUSION -- Can I dump AT&T voice service?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by rayk108 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:26 pm
I've been using Sonic 3Mb DSL for years while still having AT&T voice service.

Since FUSION provides voice service, can I dump AT&T voice service after the switchover? Or do I need some minimal AT&T voice service to allow FUSION to be delivered to my home?

I'd like know if anyone has gone through this process, how long did the switchover take, and was there any problems to watch out for (such as no Internet access for hours or days during switchover).

Thanks for your help in advance.
by wa2ibm » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:06 pm
No need to "dump" anything. Just go ahead and order Fusion, giving them your existing AT&T phone number. When Sonic gives you an activation date, the switch will typically take less than an hour (usually 15-30 minutes) where you'll not have dial tone. AT&T will automatically cancel your phone service and prorate it to the date of the switch and send you a final bill (or credit).

At the same time, since they're switching pairs from AT&T to Sonic, your internet service will switch over to the Fusion service. You may not have to do anything to your existing modem, since both the Sonic DSL and Fusion are DHCP (not PPPoE like AT&T DSL). Again, the switch will only take a few minutes. You MIGHT have to reboot your router to get a new IP, but that's probably about it.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, cancel your AT&T service first. When you're all done, your dial tone (with your original phone number) and internet will both be coming from Sonic and aside from the final bill from AT&T, you'll be free from them.
by rayk108 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:19 pm
Oh?! So I can still use my regular telephone when I switch over to FUSION. Good deal. I just assumed it was a VOIP phone connection. Thanks for the detailed information!
by wa2ibm » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:27 pm
Yes, Sonic phone service is standard POTS analog service. It will work with all your regular phones, including FAX and answering machines, etc. Voice mail is included, but not activated by default. You can go into member tools to activate it if you wish.
by zbarr » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:41 pm
btw, on fusion phone
411 = google information
611 = sonic tech support
911 = same as at&t
by paulbarwick » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:25 pm
Also, once you switch over to the Sonic.net phone line, you get free long distance calling throughout the U.S., but you will find that international calling is turned off by default. It takes only one call to 611 to have it activated if you so desire.

Correction: As Guest fusioneer points out below, you can active international calling and other features online by logging into member tools.
by fusioneer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:09 pm
in Member Tools -> Voice, you can enable/disable
- voicemail
- call waiting
- caller ID blocking
- international dialing
- call forwarding
by jleake » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:55 pm
wa2ibm wrote:No need to "dump" anything. Just go ahead and order Fusion, giving them your existing AT&T phone number. When Sonic gives you an activation date, the switch will typically take less than an hour (usually 15-30 minutes) where you'll not have dial tone. AT&T will automatically cancel your phone service and prorate it to the date of the switch and send you a final bill (or credit).

Do NOT, under any circumstances, cancel your AT&T service first. When you're all done, your dial tone (with your original phone number) and internet will both be coming from Sonic and aside from the final bill from AT&T, you'll be free from them.
This is theoretically correct, but we have heard of a few cases where AT&T continued to bill customers for several months after the port completed, so we definitely recommend calling them after you're up and running.
Juliana L.
Customer Support, Sonic.net, Inc.
by penql » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:49 pm
Thanks for that heads up Juliana - I'm newly up and running for ... about 45 minutes now. Yeeha!
by Gloria Oviedo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:42 am
What are the international Long Distance rates after I switch to fusion?
11 posts Page 1 of 2