vpn and kindle fire hdx

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by jays1sc » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:43 pm
Hi All,

Has anyone successfully connected a Kindle Fire hdx (7 inch) using sonic's vpn service? Or has anyone tried it and been unsuccessful?

Here is what I'm seeing:

I have a couple of android devices I have been able to use with sonic's vpn service. But not my new(ish) kindle hdx.

Specifically, I set up the fire's vpn settings with the same options I use on my other devices; and the little lock (key) icon will show up saying I am connected to sonic's vpn. And my wifi icon remains solid with high signal strength apparently.

But then no internet access will show up on my browser, or on my weather.com app, or anything else. They just sit there spinning their "wait" icons.

If I disconnect from sonic VPN, everything is back to normal; and I have full network access again.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,

- Jay
by jays1sc » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:19 am
WORKS! -- With the Kindle Fire HDX update to Fire OS 4.1.1 (installed Nov 10, 2014), the standard Android directions for sonic vpn now work. At least now the lock (key) icon shows up and the latest browser, mail, and weather apps work, and ipchicken.com reports a vpn.sonic.net IP instead of dsl.dynamic.sonic.net IP. That's "working" in my book. :)
by kevind » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:53 am
I've spent a fair amount of time, including a couple of calls with Sonic tech support, trying to get VPN installed. An old google posting said that ovpn is not supported on Kindle, but an Android user told me she installed ovpn successfully.

This Kindle is running Fire OS 4.5.5.3.
3 posts Page 1 of 1