Suggestions for resolving packet loss on bonded Fusion

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 2 of 2
by dane » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:59 pm
That certainly is odd! DSLAM side is not Annex M?

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by pnfisher » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:34 pm
dane wrote:That certainly is odd! DSLAM side is not Annex M?
DSLAM side is not Annex M.

The last Sonic support rep that I spoke to was aware of this bug and apologized that prior support reps that I spoke with didn't suggest that I enable Annex M support on the modem as an initial debugging step for packet loss issues on the ZyXEL. Prior to stumbling on the Annex M workaround (I was randomly changing modem options to see if anything made a difference with the packet loss), I tried the usual gauntlet of interleaving, capping speeds, line tests, re-ran internal wiring, and there's even a Comtrend modem to test that was already in the mail and should arrive early next week.
by Robotech » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:34 am
I have a ZyXEL - and bonded lines - had a similar issue with that - enabled Annex "M" and works like a champ if I loose one line!

Thanks to Sonic tech support - when I called it they where on it with that one - and I think that I can confirm that it works.....

:)
by pnfisher » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:43 am
pnfisher wrote:there's ... a Comtrend modem to test that was already in the mail and should arrive early next week
Loaner Comtrend 5631 arrived today. As an additional data point, the Comtrend does not exhibit the packet loss problem that the ZyXEL has when Annex M support is disabled on the modem.

Let me know if any further tests or debugging would be useful. I'm planning to return the Comtrend loaner since there's a workaround for the packet loss problem on the ZyXEL, the ZyXEL runs cooler, and it does a better job of breaking out stats for each line (although it looks like that data isn't exported via SNMP).
by vborelli » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 pm
There is an updated firmware that fixes this issue without needing to enable annex-m. It can be found here:

ftp://ftp.sonic.net/pub/firmware/
by pnfisher » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:01 pm
vborelli wrote:There is an updated firmware that fixes this issue without needing to enable annex-m
I upgraded the ZyXEL from 1.01(BOM.2)C0 to 1.01(BOM.3)b1_0824. This did not resolve the Annex M problem.

I flashed w/ restore default settings checked, then put the ZyXEL back into bridge mode and disabled wireless. The packet loss issue was present. I power cycled the modem and confirmed that the packet loss issue was still present. I then enabled Annex M support, and the packet loss went away.
16 posts Page 2 of 2