modem died- buy new one or rent from sonic?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by ggladsto » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:23 pm
I have a Motorola 2210 modem that sonic originally provided to me. It started losing sync this week after 4+ years of rock solid 17+mbps speed. It lost sync gradually at first then constantly by the weekend. Called sonic this am and they ended up putting in a ticket to att to come checkout our line. The ATT guy checked out line outside and inside (he wasn't supposed to be checking our internal wiring). He plugged his test modem into the same cord my modem had been plugged into at my desk. He got a max throughput of 21mbps and consisteny solid 17mbps for 15+ minutes before unplugging. This seemed to confirm my modem was bad. I called back sonic and they agreed I needed a new modem. They said they no longer sell modems and I could rent one from them for an extra $6.50/month>:( or I could go buy a new one on my own and they would not help me set it up>>:[.

So I am thinking about getting a TP-LINK TD-8616 adsl2+ modem for about $30. The question is will it not be too hard for me to setup and get working?

I cannot STAND being stuck with my horribly marginal Sprint mobile data access.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
by Rob » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 am
Buy your own...The 6.50/mo rental charge will add up quickly, very easy to set one up with sonic dhcp.
by Guest » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:01 pm
I say rent a modem as you will save money if sonic ever have to come out to your house. All visits to your house is free as well as help in changing faulty wiring. so 6.50 is like an insurance plan plus you have the modem. In my case I saved prob 150.00 on a tech visit and help.....thats 2 years rent right there. plus you have tech help with your modem if there are issues.
banada
by kevinmcm » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 pm
The TP-LINK ADSL2+ modem works great.
by digitalbitstream » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:41 am
Here's instructions for a similar model:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1782&p=10892&hilit=tplink#p10892
Three clicks and you're in. Sonic's rental modem is worth something, but not $6.50/month for life.
by ggladsto » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:18 am
Thanks for the replies and that last tip!
6 posts Page 1 of 1