sonics $78 equipment fee

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by daves place » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:44 pm
you can purchase a modem for $25
that get 5 star reviews

but you still have to pay $78 equipment fee

monthly $6.50

and your modem does not get good reviews
by dan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:43 am
I'm just researching this company - do they not allow you to use your own?
by dane » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:42 am
You could use your own, after the circuit is up and running you can opt out and return ours. But you will miss out on some features, including our Wire Plan, so you'd be billed for any necessary technician visits in future.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by cdkeen » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:40 pm
The Pace modem Sonic is offering is almost assuredly better in every conceivable way than whatever modem you are picking up for $25. To start with the Pace is also a router and wireless access point, not simply a modem. Additionally it is guaranteed by Sonic meaning we will replace the unit for whatever reason for the life of your service. And as Dane states by utilizing the Pace you are entitled to free technician visits in the event of physical problems with your home phone wiring. Without these protections the cost of maintaining the hardware that facilitates DSL internet can quickly and greatly surpass $78 per year in the event of failure.
cdkeen - Sonic.net System Operations
by ken » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:48 pm
I am considering switching to Sonic after my contract with another ISP expires in the near future. I too was confused about the $6.50 rental fee and still am. My current ISP, who also resells Sonic services, leases the modem to its customers at no charge. When service is terminated, the modem simply has to be returned. My satellite company does the same with the receiver.

I understand the benefit of having a warranty (which my current ISP also offers, again at no cost). What I don't understand is the benefit of having "truck roll" service. I live in an apartment, had DSL for over a decade, never had any problems whatsoever, I am not responsible for any wiring. So what benefit is there to me for having to pay $6.50 each month as a fee to cover the expenses of a technician visiting the premises which will probably be never?

Lets say I am a customer for 5 years, that's about $400 for no value. I went to Amazon, typed in ADSL2+ modem, and see models starting from $30 and is something that I would own.

If there is some internal configuration optimized for Fusion service, I'd probably be willing to purchase it from Sonic directly (and according to a sales rep I cannot purchase it outright). But according to my friend who is more knowledgeable about this stuff, he said that there is no such thing and any compatible modem is the same and will sync the same.

He is knowledgeable but I did not say an expert, so I'd still like some feedback on this matter. His advice makes sense though, because if I stay with my current ISP who resells the same Sonic service, a modem replacement is not necessary.

Lastly I was told by sales that I would find information about modems that work with or recommended for Sonic in the forums, but I cannot find it. Can someone please direct me to the location? Thanks!
by dane » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:55 am
Why would you switch from Fusion service with your current ISP? I'd suggest sticking with that, as changing is a bit of a hassle for no benefit.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ken » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:00 pm
dane wrote:Why would you switch from Fusion service with your current ISP? I'd suggest sticking with that, as changing is a bit of a hassle for no benefit.
Hi Dane. I don't have Fusion service yet. I currently have regular DSL service, 6Mbps. Do you still suggest I stay with my current ISP if upgrading to Fusion? I am not naming it so I don't advertise them, but I am sure you know which company I am referring to.
by digitalbitstream » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:17 am
You could use your own, after the circuit is up and running you can opt out and return ours. But you will miss out on some features, including our Wire Plan, so you'd be billed for any necessary technician visits in future. -dane
Or, you could put $6.50/month into a passbook savings account. Now pay a neighborhood handyperson $100 every time your inside wiring breaks. If it happens less than once every 15 months you come out ahead. Or pay a neighborhood teen $5/month to be your 'on call phone wiring repair person'. Good deal for everyone.

Or: learn the task of working on your inside wiring yourself, using an over the top guide like: https://psc.wi.gov/thelibrary/publicati ... ecom19.pdf

Or: know it pretty much comes down two wires: red and green usually. Thus:
  • * Do nothing until you have a problem.
    * If there's a problem: eliminate all unneeded runs of wire.
    * Ensure nothing is getting wet when it rains.
    * Make sure each run of wire either is after a filter (e.g. only has telephone signals), or has a filter placed on the end.
by dane » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:42 am
ken wrote:
dane wrote:Why would you switch from Fusion service with your current ISP? I'd suggest sticking with that, as changing is a bit of a hassle for no benefit.
Hi Dane. I don't have Fusion service yet. I currently have regular DSL service, 6Mbps. Do you still suggest I stay with my current ISP if upgrading to Fusion? I am not naming it so I don't advertise them, but I am sure you know which company I am referring to.
If you have an account with an ISP partner who offers Fusion service, I'd suggest buying it from them. There's no good reason to switch ISPs if you can already get Fusion from your current service provider.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by digitalbitstream » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:17 am
@Guest Ken:
Here's is one of many reports of working models with Sonic:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1782&p=10892#p10892

Sonic has a one size fits all model, so your apartment situation (where the landlord is legally required to maintain your phone line) simply does not fit the model.
12 posts Page 1 of 2