Any problems with service to really old homes (build 1920's)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by Guest » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:03 am
I really want to switch from ATT phone and DSL service to Sonic Fusion service.

I do qualify according to Sonic website and 'location is about 8413 feet from our local serving office.' (also:what speeds should I except with the basic Fusion plan at this distance?)

I wonder if my old house wiring will makes things complicated? I already have DSL from ATT so I assume transition should be smooth?

I don't have an network interface box btw. And only one jack in home. I split one line to my modem and one line with filter to the phone.
by cdkeen » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 am
As you already have DSL transition will be as simple as connecting the modem/router Sonic.net supplies.

Also if you have problems after the transition Sonic can send a technician to your residence (no charge!) to diagnose and repair any problems impairing the DSL signal.

At a distance of : 8413 feet estimated download speeds will be somewhere between 6 to 7 mbps.

Data Source: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r269108 ... ance-chart
cdkeen - Sonic.net System Operations
by Guest » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:24 pm
That is good to hear.

So do I just do the online form and transaction and then when can I cancel my ATT service completely?
by Guest » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:24 am
Just start with Sonic and only after your line is up and running should you cancel your AT&T service.
by Guest » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:47 pm
Guest wrote:Just start with Sonic and only after your line is up and running should you cancel your AT&T service.

I didn't have to do that; I filled out a form and let Sonic switch over for me. After that was done, I received a refund for the remainder of the month.
by dane » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:55 pm
Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:Just start with Sonic and only after your line is up and running should you cancel your AT&T service.
I didn't have to do that; I filled out a form and let Sonic switch over for me. After that was done, I received a refund for the remainder of the month.
For those switching their conventional AT&T DSL and/or landline home phone service to Fusion by porting over their existing telephone number, the cancellation should be automatic. You'll get a letter from them confirming the departure, then a final invoice & refund.

For those with a VOIP or UVerse service, I don't think cancellation would be automatic, so you'll want to call and confirm it's done, after your Fusion service is up and running.

Then once a week for the rest of your life they will send you a mail piece begging you to come back. Don't be suckered by the teaser rates and rapid-expiring gift-cards. :roll:
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bobrk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:38 pm
I have a 1914 house, but all the phone wiring is new, and I get full speeds.
by desertflyer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:37 pm
The nice thing about the my 1910-built house is all of the phone wiring is accessible. It made it really easy to replace the copper run from my outlet to my MPOE when it got old and noisy.
by bostonweeks » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:37 pm
desertflyer wrote:The nice thing about the my 1910-built house is all of the phone wiring is accessible. It made it really easy to replace the copper run from my outlet to my MPOE when it got old and noisy.
Yes. It's super easy with the crawl space. I just ran a new data line (see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1887) since where I want my data isn't where the phone is. I ended up putting in a Wilcom PS-36 DSL splitter in to let the phones and alarm be on a voice line and the DSL be the only thing on the data line.

I'm only waiting for a Sonic visit now to put an NID in.
9 posts Page 1 of 1