Painful Install process

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
17 posts Page 2 of 2
by 4157664366 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:57 pm
I am so disappointed and frustrated with the installation process of the internet service provided by sonic!!... To make a long history short 8 days after ordering the service I got the installation kit and an e-mail saying my account was active. Now I can have internet access, right?! No!! Now you have to wait for 11 (!!!!!!!) more days to have a technician at your place that might make it work!!! Unbelievable!!! I already really regret I've chosen sonic!! And I woudn't reccomend it to anyone. So far it has been a disappointment!!
by 12daysnointernet » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:40 pm
I wish I had read this thread before deciding to go with Sonic. We've been waiting for AT&T to come to our apartment building to install a phone box as well as wiring to our phone jack. We've been told four different days that AT&T would be coming to our place from 8am-8pm, and we've made arrangements to be available for each of these dates and times- yet here we are, a fourth day of rescheduling and still nothing. At this point I want to call quits and have Time Warner provide cable internet. This on boarding process is not worth whatever sell fiber Internet might have.
by mike.perlas » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:38 pm
12daysnointernet wrote:I wish I had read this thread before deciding to go with Sonic. We've been waiting for AT&T to come to our apartment building to install a phone box as well as wiring to our phone jack. We've been told four different days that AT&T would be coming to our place from 8am-8pm, and we've made arrangements to be available for each of these dates and times- yet here we are, a fourth day of rescheduling and still nothing. At this point I want to call quits and have Time Warner provide cable internet. This on boarding process is not worth whatever sell fiber Internet might have.
I'm really sorry to hear that your installation hasn't gone as smoothly as anticipated! If you privately message me your details I can look into what's going on. I'd be more than happy to see if I can be of any assistance.
Mikey P.
Technical Support Supervisor
Sonic
by moogra » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:30 pm
I had a similar thing happen. AT&T just hooked up the pair from the CO to MPOE at the apartment complex and I couldn't get anything inside my actual apartment.
Thankfully inside the MPOE the wires for my apartment were labeled with my apartment number. I spliced my apartment's line to AT&T's dangling wire (apparently polarity doesn't matter for VDSL) and I was up and running.

If you go that route I recommend you don't untwist the diff-pair too much, since you'll add excess series inductance to the impedance of the transmission line.
by wmishere75 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:15 pm
12daysnointernet wrote:I wish I had read this thread before deciding to go with Sonic. We've been waiting for AT&T to come to our apartment building to install a phone box as well as wiring to our phone jack. We've been told four different days that AT&T would be coming to our place from 8am-8pm, and we've made arrangements to be available for each of these dates and times- yet here we are, a fourth day of rescheduling and still nothing. At this point I want to call quits and have Time Warner provide cable internet. This on boarding process is not worth whatever sell fiber Internet might have.
I have a similar experience. They scheduled AT&T to come out and install about a week after I signed up. I got an email that AT&T did their part and a Sonic technician was scheduled to come over and install the service. The Sonic technician discovered that AT&T did not do anything cause they weren't sure which line to connect??!! The Sonic technician was really nice and left detailed instructions for the next AT&T technician. I scheduled the next appointment for a Saturday as I needed to let the technician onto my property. I chose the 8am-12pm window. On the day of my appointment I see the AT&T truck parked across the street a few houses down at 11am. I'm sitting in my house expecting the technician to come over any time now but no one shows up. I contact Sonic and they tell me that the technician claims everything was set up and closed the ticket. They tell me they will "deny the close" and have the AT&T technician come over another time. I just wasted my entire morning and in the meantime, it's 3 weeks now since I signed up and still no service. What's up with AT&T??!!
by Anonymouse » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:50 am
Was able to self-install with no problems at all. I had Googled all the pertinent info before trying, and thought "why pay someone else $125.00 for 30-seconds of work?". It's just two simple wires, attached with screws, from your internal phone line to the newly provided incoming wires. Thanks for the affordable internet fees, Sonic!
by adame » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:22 pm
Anonymouse wrote:Was able to self-install with no problems at all. I had Googled all the pertinent info before trying, and thought "why pay someone else $125.00 for 30-seconds of work?". It's just two simple wires, attached with screws, from your internal phone line to the newly provided incoming wires. Thanks for the affordable internet fees, Sonic!
That's great to hear! We have put together a small guide for DIY types who are interested in giving it a try here: https://wiki.sonic.net/wiki/Cross_Connect_Guide
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
17 posts Page 2 of 2