fusion 4111N+RH static IP configuration

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
20 posts Page 1 of 2
by boris_r » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:41 pm
I am a new Sonic’s customer with a static IP, connected to the Fusion 4111N 4-port modem. My environment is few windows computers with DHCP and Wi-Fi connections… There is also a Linux box (RH7.3), which is supposed to host my own site and run an application under it. I used this environment for >15 years utilizing BEFSR81 router, allowing configuration of a subnet, supporting the mentioned computers. When the router went down I also decided to switch ISP…

I am trying to replicate the previous environment, but new rental modem apparently has some tricks disallowing me to route to Sonic’s net “route add – net …”, indicating that it is unreachable. If there is anyone knowledgeable out there to give me step-by-step instructions on how to statically configure modem 4111N with Linux box, I will highly appreciate such help. Modem’s firewall is open for all apps hosted by Linux. One of ports was enabled for LAN subports. As I understood it, but not positive if that is a prerequisite for problem resolution. (Other comps work fine with dynamically obtained IP’s). Other comps work fine with dynamically obtained IP’s. Please drop me a note at boris_r@sonic.net .

I would not blame Sonic support as they do not support customer environment.

thx
by dane » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:28 pm
I think what you want is to set up with the static IP assigned to the router, and then DMZ Plus pointed toward the server. Found this article:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=908
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by boris_r » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:37 pm
Thank you, Dane, for your prompt response.

Before contacting tech. support, I exercised (almost) both options suggested in the article at the link provided.

The problem was I forgot to reboot the modem…

When both options are configured simultaneously, they contradict each other. Since I didn’t have an additional IP for subports, the task was resolved by disabling the firewall (through DMZ). This resolution is incomplete though because the system could not resolve a host name from IP. The site is seen and the app runs under it if the URL is entered in a format of 123.123.123.123/app/… The standard commands like nslookup, dig, and host do not return the host name either. Obviously, I had to apply more thinking/work/help to win the game.

Thank you for your support,
Boris
by dane » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:24 pm
Yes, you can't mix and match static IP with DMZPlus and LAN subports.

I think what you want is static IP for your free single static, with DMZ Plus. NOT LAN subports, because that would require either a pool of dynamic IPs, or multiple static IPs.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by boris_r » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:07 pm
Dane,

Thanks again for maintaining a dialog with me… I already clearly understood what you have just confirmed. In addition, while, I keep stepping on your nerve by abusing vendor/customer relationship, let me nevertheless ask you whether you can give me a clue/hint (or solution) on the previously stated issue. Being a s/w developer for the past 5 decades and gradually moving up corporate ladder, my hands-on engineering skills were diminishing, perhaps a higher speed… I am a retiree these days and work on a product I have invested into earlier, but still could not realize it.

Warmest regards,
Boris
by dane » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:24 pm
Sorry if I'm not being clear, I'm not confident either that I'm suggesting the correct configuration. Others may weigh in here if they've got similar configurations.

As I understand it, you must turn off LAN Subports if you are using a single static IP. Instead, assign the IP to the modem. Then, once your various in-home machines are assigned private IP addresses, select the one which is your serve and designate it as "DMZ Plus". This causes that device to get all connections which are directed toward your public static IP. I think. =)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by boris_r » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:22 pm
So I’ve done. The environment works as expected, besides DNS name resolution.

Thanks. Happy NY!
Boris
by dane » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:48 pm
What's up with DNS?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by boris_r » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:17 am
I am sorry for misleading you. We tend to overload certain terminology – I meant a problem in “resolving the server name of my domain”, whereas nothing is wrong with Sonic’s nameservers (NS), which often called DNS as well. My bad.
by adame » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:36 pm
Can you elaborate on the problem you're having resolving your domain? Is the problem that your domain does not resolve when you issue your DNS query to the Pace, but it does resolve correctly when you query our name servers directly?
Adam Martinetti
Customer Experience Manager
Sonic.
20 posts Page 1 of 2