If I switch from at&t today, about how long after my order w

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
11 posts Page 1 of 2
by Terprolov » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am
Hi, i'm pretty much ready to jump ship on at&t, how long after my order would it take for the process to start?

You can give me best case/worst case/average right?

I live in san jose. Area code 95132.

I'm pretty much going to order tonight, but I have to deal with at&t customer service over contract cancellation fee.
by wa2ibm » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:12 pm
If you want to keep your existing AT&T phone number, DO NOT cancel your AT&T service before your Sonic service is up and running. If you cancel AT&T first, Sonic will not be able to recover your original phone number.
by Terprolov » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:14 am
Ok thanks yea I have not canceled att yet of course, and yea I heard they just want to rip out dsl.

My sonic equipment was shipped on friday, I guess i'll receive it next week.
by wa2ibm » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:15 am
By now, you should have received an email from Sonic indicating when your cut-over will occur. They say to give them 30 minutes for the change, but experience tells us that it takes only a couple of minutes. The change is made at your CO and involves a hands-on process of removing a jumper pair from the AT&T equipment and installing one from your wire pair to the Sonic equipment. One that's done, you're good to go.

If you happen to be home during that time, you'll notice that your dial-tone and DSL will stop working. That's a good time to pull out the new equipment and hook it up. Once you get dial-tone back, you should expect DSL to follow soon thereafter.

Welcome to the good times!
by terprolov » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:19 am
Ah ok sweet. I could only order 3mbps dsl, site didn't highlight the 6mbps option but I guess its 5 dollars less. Still kind of sad I drop in speed a bit, but its good to get back to a connection I can rely on.

Yea I got an email that said the switch would be today sometime. I got the modem a few days ago.

I figure I will put it into bridge mode and set my router to dhcp.

But my current setup is one where at&t's netgear 7550 is already set to bridge mode since I prefer my own ddwrt linksys router, so I hope I can just leave it, and change to dhcp on my router and it might work?

and thanks for your help!

I signed up with discover card but it seems i might have to switch to master card or visa. I've received no email yet on this, I do have those cards but its a bit weird to have conflicting information, I think it was on the website that said something about dsl being visa/mastercard...
by wa2ibm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:28 am
Now that you mention 3mbps and 6mbps speeds, that sounds like AT&T wholesale DSL rather than Sonic Fusion service. I should have asked.

IF that is the case, then AT&T will continue to provide your dial-tone and Sonic provides your DSL via AT&T's DSL infrastructure. You should be able to continue to use the same modem with one exception. You'll have to change the modem from PPPoE to either Dynamic or Static IP, depending on what you ordered. That's it.
by Terprolov » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:42 pm
Yes unfortunately I don't have fusion in my area yet, so not an option.

And yes, I had to order 3mbps dsl, as far as I know I can't order 6mbps?
by Terpolov » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:43 pm
Jumped the gun, it wasn't today, it was tomorrow:P

Thats what I get for posting late at night heh
by Terprolov » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:47 am
Well it seems I was switched over a few minutes ago, lost connection, I switched to automatic dhcp on my router, and after a few minutes it worked:) wan listed as sonic.net Very smooth, impressed with the speed of switch over:)

I do remember vaguely reading about something in the faq about if you change modems or something it can mess up the dhcp release, so does it mean that I should never use the dhcp release/renew function? Or does it mean it can trip up if you use it while swapping modems or something?

Anyways I guess the netgear 7550 can be added to the list of modem/routers that work with your service. Funny thing is I just got the thing from at&t after many years of the old speedstream modem working before it started to fail.
by wa2ibm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:24 pm
Terprolov wrote: I do remember vaguely reading about something in the faq about if you change modems or something it can mess up the dhcp release, so does it mean that I should never use the dhcp release/renew function? Or does it mean it can trip up if you use it while swapping modems or something?
The thing about the DHCP renewal had to do with certain versions of DDWRT routers and the fact that Sonic uses a 5 minute DHCP lease time. Most routers handle this properly, so you shouldn't have an issue. I've had different modems and routers on my Sonic/ATT DSL circuit and never had an issue with it.
11 posts Page 1 of 2