Unable to send mail when not on Sonic network?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by garytracee » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:29 pm
Quick question for folks.

I'm currently a Fusion subscriber, with a mail issue. I have my own POP3 server that I use to receive mail, so only use Sonic's servers for SMTP access. I've got my desktop as well as laptop set up this way, as well as my iPhone and tablet. Everything works without issue when I'm at home and using Sonic as my internet access. However, if I leave the comfort of my home network with either my laptop or mobile devices, I'm no longer able to send mail, despite ensuring that I'm using one of the recommended ports (465 or 587, have switched between the two in an effort to get this working).

Any advice on getting this resolved, or am I out of luck since my server uses POP3?
by kgc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:31 pm
You're best off using port 587 with authentication, while not currently required while you are on our network, it is required while you are off network. Perhaps this is the problem that you've run into?
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by garytracee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:43 pm
kgc wrote:You're best off using port 587 with authentication, while not currently required while you are on our network, it is required while you are off network. Perhaps this is the problem that you've run into?
Nope, have done both ports, both with and without authentication, no luck.
by virtualmike » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:25 pm
garytracee wrote:Nope, have done both ports, both with and without authentication, no luck.
Did you configure it to use your login ID and password?
4 posts Page 1 of 1