Diagnostic Error: ATM fail at the PVC Connection

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by bonzerduncan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:35 pm
Been having issues with sync past two weeks.

Run the internatl diagnostic tests from the Pace modem/router. Ping/tracefoute appears fine, but with the Link test, there are consistant error notices of "ATM fail at PVC connection", and IP Connection/DNS Communication failure. Pace unit the reboots itself and sync is establed (until I run the same Link test from the Diagnostic page and I get the same errors).

So I called Sonic.net.

Tech support sees the packet loss/disconnects in the logs for the past two weeks or so.

With their help, we isolate the mode/router from the rest of the house telco system and do some tests.

They are of no immediate help.

Get ATT tech over to check lines the next day (all fine).

Still getting sync issues though.

Get Sonic.net tech to show up the next day (yesterday). He is dismayed by what the previous Sonic.net tech did and does some internal work (after making switch from ATT, my service was not any better than what ATT provided, so Sonic.net tech visit was in order to upgrade the connect from what Pacbell had set up back in '97).

All appears fine as of this morning, able to check some news, look at incoming forecasts for surfing, but when I access the Pace unit (via 'gateway.sonic.net' in the URL bar of the browser) and run the line diagnostics, same error as before: ATM failure at PCV Connection blah blah blah, modem seems to reset the connection ('Service' light blinks, goes off, blinks, turns solid green).

So I briefly looked in to typcal causes of such a thing and find answers like:

1 The Pace unit is failing, get a new on

2 ATM encapsulation failure means that the Ethernet link between PC and modem can be working (user can access the modem GUI and see the diagnostic page), but the ATM link between the DSLAM and the aggregation router is failing (modem can't communicate with the aggregation).

3 Line interferance of some sort (hmmm, nothing at the house has changed, but PG&E has been working on something underground a block away, and someone did relocate a service box at the corner recently...looks like a phone service box, though I don't know for certain)

Offhand, I think the visits from the various techs would have ruled out #3.

So now what?

Keep documenting things until I feel comfortable enough to ask for a replacement Pace unit, or mention that maybe the failure runs deeper on their end?

Anyone have this sort of problem? Are the Pace units even capable running a line diagnostic? Or should I not worry until I test out the system thoroughly by playing Left 4 Dead with my nephew this evening?
by bonzerduncan » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:19 am
Alright, I am a two days in from the tech visit/fix/repair, and all seems to be working.

Still getting ATM failure when I run the modem tests however

Anyone else running the diagnostics via their Pace unit?

By the way, no problems playing the Left 4 Dead game, so maybe I should just quit while I'm ahead?
by dane » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:07 am
Has the router been swapped? Support can send a replacement if bad hardware is suspected.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by bonzerduncan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:39 pm
Router was not swapped.
4 posts Page 1 of 1