Updates on San Carlos, CA

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by iachello » Wed May 24, 2023 1:53 pm
Hi there
Some streets in San Carlos have Sonic fiber, including 1 block down from my street (Hillcrest Rd.). However my street (Madrona St.) doesn't. Any idea when we'll complete the cable (it really is just 3-4 extra poles)?

Without an upgrade path from 50mbps, I am seriously considering switching to AT&T to get gigabit (I have fiber to my basement with them, resold through Sonic).

My heart bleeds, I wouldn't want to switch, but it seems like I have no option.

Giovanni
by dane » Wed May 24, 2023 2:11 pm
Yes, you are correct, we've got coverage pretty much everywhere around you, but not on your short street. Looking at the engineering GIS and the survey work that was done, it appears that there are about six utility poles that are out of compliance or which do not have space. The clearances from the ground and the power lines above for the pole to the South of you, which feeds to your street, are not compliant per our field survey as it sits today, and we cannot add additional wires to that non-compliant segment, there just isn't room. I think you're out of luck for now at least.

The CPUC is working on new one-touch-make-ready (OTRM) rules which would require utilities to resolve safety issues, and depending upon how that ends up being implemented, it's possible situations like this might be something we could force a resolution on. The rules went into effect and we're awaiting implementation by the pole owners now.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by iachello » Thu May 25, 2023 10:44 am
Thank you for the clarity, Dane!
Giovanni
by dane » Thu May 25, 2023 4:32 pm
iachello wrote:Thank you for the clarity, Dane!
Giovanni
I’m sorry it’s not better news. Tough when there are pole safety issues that we can’t force resolution on.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
4 posts Page 1 of 1