Unable to get Sonic VPN to work on Fedora 38

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by jhidu » Mon May 22, 2023 2:59 pm
I downloaded my connect profile for Linux. from https://ovpn.sonic.net/, installed the openvpn3 client and went through the procedure outlined here https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... ith-linux/. I spent about an hour trying to establish a connection it did not work.

Now I am trying to use KDE connections to set up the connection. I have used this successfully with ProtonVPN. Using add a new connection -> import VPN connection, the profile-xxx.ovpn file is imported with no complaints.

All the fields are filled except Private Key Pass.
When I try to connect I am prompted to enter a password. Where can I find this password.

See attached screenshots.

Attachments

by dkenglish7 » Mon May 22, 2023 6:22 pm
The default password is the same as your Sonic account password.
by jhidu » Tue May 23, 2023 3:32 am
Thanks for the response.

I have entered my username and Sonic account password in the connection dialogue box. When I try to connect, another box opens and asks for a password. I have tried to use my Sonic account password. It does not work.
by joeandcynthia27 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:24 pm
I am a total non-technical person and Sonic support has been totally unresponsive to my problem (“we’re not trained on VPN”). For years I have been using the VPN app I downloaded from Sonic with server (?) ovpn.sonic.net. Lately, when I try and connect-open-the app, after 30 seconds I get a prompt “Connection Timeout” “Connection Failed to Establish Within Given Time” “Retry. Cancel”. This happens on all my devices. I am using the correct password. Any help gratefully accepted.
by artakamoose » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:14 pm
Not that this is the case with any of the above, but note that you have to use the primary account and password for VPN. You can't login as a secondary user. I really wish Sonic would change this so that other members of the household could use the VPN feature also without needing to hand out the primary login.
5 posts Page 1 of 1