Is it possible to share Internet Fiber ethernet thru an ethernet switch?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
9 posts Page 1 of 1
by rchrdfrdmn » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:36 pm
I have Sonic Fiber and two Eero units.
Is it possible to insert an ethernet switch (router) to split the signal coming from the fiber modem into one ethernet connection that goes directly to a desktop system and another that goes to the Eero gateway unit?
I'm asking because I tried it and the direct-to-desktop ethernet can't seem to connect to the internet.
(The reason for wanting to do this is the distances between units.)

Is there a way to do this?

Can I put the ethernet switch/router after the Eero gateway and share that signal between two desktops?
by virtualmike » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:08 pm
The primary Eero device needs to be connected to the ONT. It will control all the household connections.

I believe the Eero should have at least one "LAN port," to which you can connect a switch via ethernet. You can then plug various devices into the switch. If the secondary Eero device has an Ethernet port on it, it can be connected to the switch as well (assuming you are able to run a quality CAT6 Ethernet cable between the switch and the second Eero.
by rchrdfrdmn » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:22 pm
Thanks. That's what I've concluded. But before I start plugging and unplugging, and running cable I just wanted to make sure. The first configuration, splitting the ethernet coming from the ONT with an ethernet switch, clearly doesn't work.
So plan B is to split the ethernet coming out of the directly-connected Eero gateway.
But that will need some cable-pulling. Something to think thru carefully and plan.
Worth trying.
Thanks.
by rchrdfrdmn » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:34 am
Just verified that putting the ethernet router/splitter after the Eero gateway works! I am now able to directly connect two computers to the internet via ethernet cable, and use the two Eero units for wi-fi. Both computers are getting 900+ Mbps.
by dane » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:05 pm
Neato!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by tomcoates » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:50 pm
What switch did you get because I’m about to do exactly the same thing.
by rchrdfrdmn » Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:43 pm
I don't remember. Anything that will handle 1 Gbps. I'd have to go diving into the garage to find it. Anything from Best Buy or other shops will work. (I avoid Amazon at all costs.)
by saltomich » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:39 pm
Just checking here to make sure I understand the cabling options. I am having a Sonic installation next week. I have a house with an apartment attached and want to split/extend the Ethernet connection to two wireless routers, one in the house and one for the apartment. I have an Archer AX50 (I think that’s the model), which currently serves the house.

When I spoke to a Sonic support tech today, he seemed to be explaining it as an Ethernet connection from the the Sonic gateway to the wireless router (AX50), then daisy-chaining off that by running an Ethernet cable to another wireless router in the apartment.

Alternatively, it sounds like, from this discussion, I could get an Ethernet splitter/switch to split the output of the gateway both wireless routers. So, an upstream split, rather than a daisy-chain.

Have I got this right?

Any opinions on which would be the better choice?

Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!
by artakamoose » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:57 pm
This...
ONT -> switch -> 2 routers
...will not work

This...
ONT -> wireless router -> wireless router
...will work.

If you want the apartment to be on a totally separate network that doesn't integrate with yours, you'll just leave the secondary router in router mode. Note that this will create a situation where double NAT is occurring. It's not the end of the world and won't affect most people. That said, there could be some issues. If you end up having problems with that and want to keep the networks separate, you'll need to get a primary router that allows to you setup VLANs and wall them off from each other.

If you don't care about the apartment being on the main network, just put the second wireless router in AP mode. That will avoid double NAT.
9 posts Page 1 of 1