Berkeley Undergrounding - UUD 48

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
1 post Page 1 of 1
by joevansteen » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:30 pm
There seems to be a two year old topic in this forum, on the same topic, but with no real answers. So, I am opening a new topic on the same subject with a copy of the email I recently sent to support@sonic. The support crew seems to be having trouble answering the question, and suggested I repost here. I thought a new post might get better attention that reposting on a two year old thread.
-----
(To Support@Sonic)

As a Sonic customer in the Berkeley Hills we have recently been informed by PG&E and the City of Berkeley that you do not intend to participate in the undergrounding of overhead cables which will occur over the next two years defined by the CoB UUD 48 project. (Project is now moving to construction phase circa 5/23 and expected for completion 6/2025.)

Can you confirm whether this is an accurate assessment of your plans?

Since the poles on which you currently deliver service to my residence will be removed as a function of this project, and if you do not intend to replace the overhead cables with undergrounded connections, my only conclusion would be that you intend to abandon service in our area and drop service to all customers in the area who have previously moved from Comcast or AT&T to your company. My impression is that since AT&T and Comcast will participate in the undergrounding and deliver service to the residents via underground cables, all of your current customers will have no other option than to switch service to one of those two vendors.

Current internet service from AT&T was limited to ISDN lines, and service from Comcast is delivered via coax. I believe that you acquired enough customers in the Berkeley Hills to pay for your costs in delivering internet service via fiber optic lines. I know that I, and a number of my immediate neighbors, switched to your service because of your superior technology. While I would assume that both AT&T and Comcast will deliver internet via fiber optic (it would be economically insane for them to do otherwise), most of us would probably prefer to maintain our current plans with your company. However, that will be impossible if you don't participate in the undergrounding project.

Can you please clarify your intention and commitment to continued delivery of Sonic internet service to our area, or clearly state your intention to abandon our neighborhood, so that we can make orderly plans for how to proceed. You deliver my internet and land-line telephone service. I cannot afford to be without these utilities and will need to take appropriate action to ensure continuity of service in the event you plan on abandoning us as customers.

Respectfully,

Joe Van Steen
----

If anyone else in the area cares to add, or has information, or if there is anyone from Sonic who is monitoring this forum, I know a lot of folks who would appreciate a clear answer so we can all plan how to support or communications needs in the future as this project moves forward.

Thanks in advance!

Joe
1 post Page 1 of 1