Viewing bandwith usage - can I do this?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by wsanders » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:20 am
Is there a way to view my monthly bandwidth usage? Occasionally we get the urge to switch from Sonic, which has no caps, to some other service, which all have caps (*). Sonic Fusion always comes out on top anyway. One, superior customer service is worth $10-$20 per month, and two, we find free international long distance pretty useful.

I would like to drop the $9.50/mo modem rental charge. It's a rotten deal for an ancient Pace 5268 that barely works anymore. But it seems to be unavoidable. We only have Sonic's rebranded AT&T in our area.

(*) Although I'd be very surprised if we used more than 1 TB/mo.
by dane » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:00 pm
No, we don't have any visibility into the AT&T IPBB network - and unfortunately, they lock it down to that device, so we can't help you escape that either.

Long term of course we're working to get all customers on our own Sonic Fiber service. We're making progress on that, and today over one million residents in Northern CA have availability. And over 2/3rds of Sonic customers are on our own network. It's a process, but we're making progress!
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:46 pm
if you cannot get network usage from the router, you may be able to do it on each device and add them all.
On windows you can see Data usage per adapter. They even break it down by application.
On android it's possible but i am not sure it will break it down by data/wifi and by ssid.
by tarzxf » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:15 pm
I have a pfsense router, and bandwithd gives a breakdown of bandwidth usage by device and overall usage for a given timeframe (daily, weekly, monthly, etc).

You MIGHT be able to use it on another computer/server within the network, but I don't think it will be as accurate as having it on the router that handles all the traffic.

Check https://sourceforge.net/projects/bandwidthd/ for info.
4 posts Page 1 of 1