Disappointed with Eero WiFi Mesh (Resolved!)

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
17 posts Page 1 of 2
by rchrdfrdmn » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:09 pm
I'm in Oakland, CA, and with Sonic Fiber for about a year. I have 2 Eero units, one gateway, one extender.
My primary computer is a MacBookPro (Intel). And I am sitting about 10 ft from the Eero extender unit.
I get disappointing and widely varying speedtest results over wifi. I get 4x speeds when connected via ethernet to the Eero.
But even those results are under 1/5th the 1Gbps expected.
What bothers me most is the wide range of speedtest results. With all things constant (same physical position, no other apps running) I get widely varying results from consecutive tests, from (Mbps) 20 to 100+ Up, 12 to 100+ Down, over wifi. Ethernet results are much better and more consistent, from 80 to 140+ Down, 100 to 210+ Up.
Another side issue is our TV using Google TV Chromecast HDMI plug-in over WiFi (in the same room as the Eero) sometimes pausing to buffer, sometimes a degraded quality picture. Checking the Google TV network analysis, it says it's seeing "Good" wifi quality, and reports 17 Mbps.
However, as I have demonstrated with speedtest, the actual wifi speeds can vary considerably over a span of 1 or 2 minutes, from 10Mbps to 80+.
Even worse are speeds with Sonic VPN enabled (OpenVPNconnect via ovpn.sonic.net). VPN cuts the observed wifi download speeds by a third (e.g. 10 to 20 Mbps).
Sonic support over Email (I haven't called yet) has not been helpful. Their suggestion, to update the Eero software, seemed to make speeds slower and more variable. (And, I have reset the Eero system from the app a number of times with no improvement. And, yes, I've rebooted the laptop too many times to count.)
I am considering removing the Eero and getting a high-power WiFi router (if there is such a thing), and sticking with Ethernet when possible.
But this is disappointing. Any suggestions?
by rchrdfrdmn » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:13 pm
Just to add this data point:
My iPhone XR gets around 80 Mbps up, 50 Mbps down over the same wifi.
But, turning off wifi on the iphone and using Verizon's cell network I get 242 Mbps down and 60 Mbps up.
Go figure.
by dane » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:52 pm
That is odd. I’d expect to see 450-650Mbps with the Eero wifi gear.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by rchrdfrdmn » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:20 am
Then I guess it's time for me to call support and have a tech come out and take a look.
Maybe when it stops raining.
by dane » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:41 am
Could be a defective unit, or perhaps some interference. They can view remote diagnostics and that might indicate. Do contact via http://Sonic.com/support today, they’re great.

If a unit looks bad they might UPS a new one out to you, with a return label for the old. One big advantage of getting equipment from Sonic is this quick advance replacement process. They might also have a tech stop by, also at no cost because it’s our equipment in question.

Which reminds me, are you getting similar results from other devices? Do we know it’s not an issue with the laptop, anti-virus software etc?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by ngufra » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:52 am
I totally get you that you want your speed to be consistent and closer to the quoted speed.

How is the backhaul done between eeros ?
Could it be radio noise from an old microwave oven?

You may want to try moving the 2nd eero to a different room and compare.
As Dane was saying, try with another computer. Also make sure the network drivers are up to date.
by rchrdfrdmn » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:54 am
Yes, I've run lots of tests. I think running the test on my iPhone over wifi is the most accurate. What I haven't tried is putting the cellphone near the gateway eero, which is in the garage and a bit hard to get close to. But I'll give that a try next.
Thanks for giving me an idea of what speeds I should expect. The Eero I've been measuring from is located a floor directly above the gateway and the fiber modem in the garage directly below.
by rchrdfrdmn » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:06 am
Using speedtest on my cellphone and getting as close as I can to the gateway Eero in the garage, the speed results are wildly varying. At one point 215 Mbps down / 36 up, then 80 down / 100 up, then 106/106, then 87/76, etc. But nothing near 650 Mbps. I think it's time to call support.
(And regarding the microwave etc, all these test were done with normal conditions in the house. No TV or other electronics on. And I'm on a Mac with the latest updated OS. No vpn, nothing else running.)
What I'm getting are wildly varying speeds, 1/4 of what's expected.
by ngufra » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:23 am
Indeed give them a call.
As it's rented equipment, they may be able to remotely connect to it and get some diagnostic data.
As Dane said, otherwise they will come or send a replacement device if appropriate.
by mabruce » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:50 am
Is the eero in question directly above the gateway eero? You might try moving it a little further away laterally. Eeros have a largely uniform radio pattern but don't communicate well directly below due to the physical hardware of the system getting in the way. Something I remember reading a couple times from the old eero reddit.
17 posts Page 1 of 2