Failure On First Install Attempt

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by cxcaraveo87 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:21 am
Hello!

So I recently signed up for Sonic Fiber in hopes of being rid of Xfinity. Yesterday the team showed up and walked around the apartment building looking for a way install the necessary equipment on the third floor. After half an hour they were unable to find a way to. I found this strange as I noticed Sonic here a little over a week ago to install fiber for another unit. This was disappointing but not entirely surprising as the building is old, but I figured there must be a way to run cabling as we have a coax cable that runs into our apartment and comes through in between the floorboard and wall in our living area. I even provided the phone number of the building manager in hopes they could work with them to determine the easiest way to do the install but nothing seems to have come from it. The crew did notify me that they spoke to their leads and that the leads mentioned that the unit (the penthouse on the roof) that did have sonic installed might have been a unique case in which they were able to drop the line directly from the top most apartment directly down to the garage and that this wouldn't be possible from my apartment as it would require me getting permission from every unit below me to have holes drilled in those units to run cable directly. This seems like a lot for a costumer to do on behalf of the company who would benefit from it, especially since none of this was mentioned when I was signing up for this process.

The team did say that most of the bulk line running is handled by another team but for some reason it was not done for this building and that I should speak to the building manager about how to get the wiring done. Again, a lot of texts, phone calls, and emails just to get this building serviced even though the website told me the building was already being serviced during sign up, something that feels a bit disingenuous.

I'm posting here in hopes there might be some help or advice out there as this seems a big overwhelming.

Thanks!
by brandonc » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:18 pm
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that there were issues getting you installed. We do survey each property and discuss how the landlord would want it to be installed prior to performing any work. The issue in this case is that the landlord has stated that we must follow the Comcast lines for installations and external lines outside leading to the unit are prohibited. Typically, we would just run a secondary cable externally and drill a hole directly into your apartment to perform the installation, but we aren't able to do that due to the landlord's instructions. Drilling through multiple neighbors homes is definitely not a typical installation route for us, but it seems to be the only option as the building itself isn't equipped with the necessary cabling for Fiber Optic (CAT6e cabling or higher).

You could try talking with your landlord about this and let them know it's causing problems for you to get installed. If they are willing to allow external cables to be ran externally, we should be able to install this no problem. The only other way we would be able to install service would be by drilling through the neighbor's unit's to reach you as mentioned previously or you/your landlord hiring an electrician/contractor to run CAT cabling from the garage area to your unit.

I'm sorry that this ended up being an inconvenience, but I hope we're able to make something work out here.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1