SFP+ adapter woes with UDM-SE & Sonic ONT

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by drewu » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:38 am
I've got 10GB fiber from Sonic, and my ONT is currently connected to a Ubiquity Dream Machine SE from the ONT to the 2.5GB RJ-45 on the UDM-SE, and that all works fine, I get a full ~2.3GB on a speed test.

The problem happens when I have to convert the ethernet from the ONT to the 10GB SFP+ port on the UDM-SE. I've tried both a Ubiquity 10G SFP+ to 10/5/2.5GbE RJ45 Module and a MikroTik S+RJ10 in the UDM-SE and while both get a link light that come on, neither one can actually pull an IP from the ONT. I've tried different cables and rebooting everything, and so now I'm wondering if it's something on the Sonic ONT side that could be the problem?
by artakamoose » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:54 am
Did you just reboot or fully power it down? The MikroTik isn't hotswappable, so you have to power down the router/switch you're using it in, install it, and then power it back up. Also, it sounds like you have to enable flow control on both the router and switch. Here's a good thread for more info:

https://blog.mikeswanson.com/post/66100 ... he-udm-pro
by allsport2001 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:10 pm
drewu wrote:I've got 10GB fiber from Sonic, and my ONT is currently connected to a Ubiquity Dream Machine SE from the ONT to the 2.5GB RJ-45 on the UDM-SE, and that all works fine, I get a full ~2.3GB on a speed test.

The problem happens when I have to convert the ethernet from the ONT to the 10GB SFP+ port on the UDM-SE. I've tried both a Ubiquity 10G SFP+ to 10/5/2.5GbE RJ45 Module and a MikroTik S+RJ10 in the UDM-SE and while both get a link light that come on, neither one can actually pull an IP from the ONT. I've tried different cables and rebooting everything, and so now I'm wondering if it's something on the Sonic ONT side that could be the problem?
Had the same issue where I couldn't pull an IP address from the ONT and it ended up being that my MAC table was filled have you tried getting it cleared yet by tech support?
by mkobb » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:32 pm
In the case of my UDM-SE, I had to go into the port configuration in the Unifi Network app on my phone and set that SFP+ port to "WAN". It was disabled by default. In order to even get a WAN option to show up, I had to first go to the 2.5Gbps port's settings and change it to something other than WAN.

Once I set the SFP+ port to WAN, it worked fine.

HOWEVER: with both of the same SFP+ units you have used, while my downloads now test very fast, the uploads do not. Using the built-in speed test in the UDM-SE, I get 6Gbps down and 1.8 up, compared to 2.3 up and down on the 2.5Gbps port. Using the native Speedtest app on a Mac with the OWC 10Gbps Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter, I was able to get 8.1 down and 4-ish up. That was using the Unifi SFP+ for the WAN and the MicroTIK on LAN side.

Weirdly, using the same app with the same Thunderbolt adapter direct-connected to the ONT I got 8.1 down but only 1 up. Huh??

Incidentally, although somebody above said the MicroTIK is not hot-swappable, I plugged it in and it worked fine, both LAN and WAN side.
by drewu » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:51 pm
Just to close the loop on this thread for others having this issue, Sonic replaced my ONT with the newest version, and the SFP+ adapter started working no problem.
5 posts Page 1 of 1