Asymetrical Fiber issues

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
8 posts Page 1 of 1
by anthonybest » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:45 pm
I am currently running Sonic 10g fiber and leveraging a Unifi Dream Machine Pro router which is cable of accepting a 10GE.

Every day my bandwidth becomes somewhat unstable and becomes asynchronous with download speeds dropping from the average 6g test down to 4g and then the upload speed drops down to around 300m.

After restarting the ONT (occasionally it takes more than once) the bandwidth begins to sync back up. It will never correct itself on its own without an ONT (and sometimes the router as well) reboot.

Is anyone running a similar setup or experiencing similar issues. I am running these speed tests directly at the router level and these have nothing to do with wifi capacity. I have called support several times on this issue, each time the resolution is simply to keep repeating the reboots or clearing the cache on sonic's side. I am told if i want to have a technician inspect he ONT there will be a 100 dollar service charge for the visit if the technician cannot specifically diagnose the ONT is the issue.
Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 12.40.39 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 12.40.39 PM.png (35.34 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
by fiberulloast » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:42 pm
I'm in San Francisco and have seeing similar issues for the past 6 months or so. At first I thought it was congestion but a simple reboot of the ONT solves the problem immediately.
by dane » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:02 pm
fiberulloast wrote:I'm in San Francisco and have seeing similar issues for the past 6 months or so. At first I thought it was congestion but a simple reboot of the ONT solves the problem immediately.
Which router/WiFi equipment are you using?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by anthonybest » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:32 pm
The reboot of the ONT solves the problem however it may take 2 or 3 power cycles for it to eventually clear.

I have called into support a few times and each time I am told a technician can be dispatched but there is a 100 dollar cost if the ONT hardware is not the issue so i am trying to test all other options.

This happens to me at some point every single day.
by anthonybest » Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:33 pm
Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 10.33.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 10.33.01 PM.png (138.74 KiB) Viewed 1015 times
by artakamoose » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:23 pm
Do not use the Unifi speedtest. It's notoriously bad and has been forever. There are tons of threads on the internet talking about this.

Here are a couple:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comme ... _not_good/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubiquiti/comme ... worthless/

Edit: The current gold standard is to use the native Speedtest app for your OS of choice.
by dane » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:33 pm
Your best bet would be to take this up with Ubiquity support. Sonic offers routing and wifi equipment which provides a stable connection. We can’t troubleshoot or resolve issues with the wide array of potential third/party equipment folks might connect.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by iaincole » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:47 am
I have a similar issue, it doesn't go as low as that but I'm not sure why the upload / download is asymmetrical. I'm running a Mikrotik CCR2116-12G-4S+ but I don't think it's related to my routing equipment because I was having the same issue when I plugged directly in to the ONT from my PC.

I'm not really sure what things to troubleshoot tbh. I'm gonna start with a new NIC to see if it helps
8 posts Page 1 of 1