Can a 3rd party ONT be used? E.g. Ubiquiti XGS-PON CPE

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
16 posts Page 1 of 2
by kipmanage » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:41 pm
UISP Fiber XGS-PON CPE
Early Access
SKU: UISP-FIBER-XGS-EA
Summary
Datasheet
Installation Guide
An optical network unit that can deliver 10 Gbps uplink/downlink speeds over distances up to 20 km.

Features:

(1) XGS-PON optic SC/APC port
(1) 10GbE RJ45 LAN port
Bridge and Router Mode support
by dane » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:34 pm
No PON networks are fully managed and internally provisioned systems, so we can't mix and match or support third-party equipment. And the Ubiquity gear doesn't have interoperability support with our OLT platform either.

And why would you want to anyway, when the Sonic-owned OLT equipment is provided and maintained by us as part of the network at no cost?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by hufman » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:31 am
My related interest is to achieve an optical handoff to my equipment. I'm currently using 10GbaseT SFP+ modules which are quite power-hungry and toasty, so I am wondering if there is any XGS-PON SFP+ module I can use instead, or if there would be an option to have a different OLT that provides an low-power optical handoff inside the house.
I understand the difficulty of supporting this niche usecase, but hopefully it can be considered!
Thank you very much for this exciting adventure!
by dane » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:38 am
hufman wrote:My related interest is to achieve an optical handoff to my equipment. I'm currently using 10GbaseT SFP+ modules which are quite power-hungry and toasty, so I am wondering if there is any XGS-PON SFP+ module I can use instead, or if there would be an option to have a different OLT that provides an low-power optical handoff inside the house.
I understand the difficulty of supporting this niche usecase, but hopefully it can be considered!
Thank you very much for this exciting adventure!
No, at this point we don't have any ability to support alternative handoff methods than 10GBaseT. Because that handoff supports a wide range of input devices on the router side, it's the best configuration.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by sabits » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:14 pm
Adtran has the SDX620s (1287840F1) and SDX630s (1287940F1) which look like they're SFP+-form-factor ONTs
by dane » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:22 pm
sabits wrote:Adtran has the SDX620s (1287840F1) and SDX630s (1287940F1) which look like they're SFP+-form-factor ONTs
Could be, but with automation of provisioning processes here, uniformity is key. We don’t have an ability to wedge in one-off configurations or unique equipment.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by sabits » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:24 pm
isn't the provisioning step just entering the serial number into mosaic? (not counting the install as part of provisioning)
by dane » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:29 pm
sabits wrote:isn't the provisioning step just entering the serial number into mosaic? (not counting the install as part of provisioning)
Sort of. There is also firmware download and settings specific to the device. And for us, the monitoring of dying gasp and other SMTP performance data, which is device specific too.

The optical network is an integrated platform, with software managing all of those components in an automated way. Today we manage two OLT card types and a total of four ONT/ONU devices at the other side. All of that allocation of inventory and device configuration and management is integrated into our platform with full automation. Wedging a different device in on an ad-hoc basis just isn’t feasible.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by daniel15 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:31 pm
dane wrote:
sabits wrote:Adtran has the SDX620s (1287840F1) and SDX630s (1287940F1) which look like they're SFP+-form-factor ONTs
Could be, but with automation of provisioning processes here, uniformity is key. We don’t have an ability to wedge in one-off configurations or unique equipment.
In the future, would you consider switching to a device that has both 10GBase-T and SFP+ ports, so the customer can choose which one they want to use? It could behave like MiktoTik's "combo ports" where you can only use one of them at a time, and internally they're considered the same interface. Totally understandable that Adtran may not have such a product today.

Like the other comments mention, I'm also using a 10Gbase-T SFP+ module and it gets very hot.
by dane » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:13 pm
Our path for equipment is pretty narrow, and I don’t think it’s likely given where I see things going in the next 12-18 months. The focus is on 10Gbps residential gateways and WiFi 7, and all that I’ve seen so far are 10GBaseT copper fed. So we wouldn’t likely end up with a different interface on the ONT. Every feature has a cost, and if it’s not something necessary we don’t invest everyone’s money (your subscription fees pay for everything) in it.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
16 posts Page 1 of 2