Cancelling landline phone service from ATT without disrupting internet access.

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
5 posts Page 1 of 1
by nathrak » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:38 pm
So I pay Sonic.net for internet access but it's on the U-verse network, and in this area it does NOT include any phone service:
  • Fusion IP Broadband Residential X1, No Voice
On a separate line coming to the house is your basic landline old school phone service which I'd like to cancel. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't cause any issues unless ATT has some rule that the house has to have voice service to keep getting (U-verse but through Sonic.net) internet access.

So line #1 from the pole is basic landline phone service from ATT, and line #2 is Sonic.net Fusion Broadband via ATT U-verse with no voice. I should be able to cancel service on line #1 and keep getting internet access as usual, hopefully?

The voice line and internet service are also under different names/billing so I really think it shouldn't matter but just want to make sure.
by dane » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:42 pm
Yep, you can certainly do that. The services have nothing to do with each other.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:45 pm
Curious what the total bill is for that old POTS service now. I bet it’s gotten pricey. They’ve hiked business phone lines from around $80 in the past to about $600 now. It’s crazy.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joeyyung911 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:11 pm
I'm paying around $26 for landline only with Sonic (SF).
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by nathrak » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:20 am
dane wrote:Curious what the total bill is for that old POTS service now. I bet it’s gotten pricey. They’ve hiked business phone lines from around $80 in the past to about $600 now. It’s crazy.
Thanks for the reply and confirmation! It's about $55 a month for the no frills phone service. Then goes up to about $75 if you want Caller ID..and long distance charges somehow still exist heh. Somehow I think my parents pay even more and have had a hell of a time with trying to get anywhere with AT&T. Just bad value all around!
5 posts Page 1 of 1