10G Internet was down for 12days while I was away

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
7 posts Page 1 of 1
by gatsbylee » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:10 pm
Hi,

After I came from my two weeks vacation, I found out that my internet was down for 12days.
( https://medium.com/@life-is-short-so-en ... 8ab960f233 )

Q1: Is there a way to reboot / restart my ONT remotely?
Q2: Is there a way to get email or notification when IN/OUT traffic become zero on ONT?

Thank you
Gatsby
by dane » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:51 pm
A reboot shouldn’t fix anything, so that’s not a good goal. If it does, there’s generally a real fix - new firmware or a hardware replacement for example.

Sonic is developing an SMS notification system that’ll let you know about outages, and allow you to engage with support if assistance is needed. And our plan will be to note area outages such as a cable cut or power failure and we’ll respond proactively and keep you informed through resolution.

Conceptual example:

“Sonic‘s automated outage monitoring system has observed that 263 customers in your area recently went offline, and indications are that the cause is a power outage. Check your power company’s website for outage status.”

Upon restoration of power, a follow-up message would be sent. If most customers were restored but a few remained offline, we’d offer each of them additional assistance.

We’d also alert if a single group of customers went offline and there was not an indication of power failure. We can see if there are commonalities such as on the same OLT port (likely optics failure), same card (potential card failure) or chassis (likely dual-uplink failure - very rare.) We can also deduce cable cuts or issues in the fiber plant too, and proactively inform and dispatch repair.

The goal is a “set and forget” approach to reliability, where we don’t wait to hear from customers before we engage. Instead you might get the following sequence of messages:

09:32 Sonic has detected that your fiber internet is affected by an area outage that includes 354 other customers. We are dispatching technicians to repair, and will provide updates as we learn more.

10:23 Sonic technicians have arrived at the site of the failure and determined that the cause is damage to a cable. Repair is underway now.

11:23 Repair of the Sonic fiber cable is continuing.

12:23 Repair of the Sonic fiber cable is continuing. We are sorry for the continued downtime.

12:49 Sonic has completed repair of the damaged cable and your connection has been tested and appears to be back online. We are sorry about the downtime. If you need further assistance, you can reply to this message to reach support.

…etc.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by biggsb » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:44 pm
Looking forward to this. We’ve been down for over 10 hours now with no official word from Sonic. I did contact support and know they are aware of an issue affecting some number of customers around me but have no ETA.
by dane » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:23 pm
Not sure if this is the issue affecting you, but I know we’ve got crews out now dealing with some squirrel damage.

https://twitter.com/dane/status/1594199690806845442
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gatsbylee » Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:32 am
@dane

Thank you for your explanation.
I really love to hear that the Sonic's ultimate goal in reliability is “set and forget”.

However, at this time, for me, it wasn't "set and forget"
How can we mitigate the outage that can be fixed by restarting ONT?
( at least, this approach resolved the issue I had )

I can't reboot my ONT when the same issue happens again while I am away from home.

BTW, It is not an urgent issue and it is not on-going issue.
I'd like to get a idea how I should resolve it when it happens again.

Thank you
Gatsby
by dane » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:31 pm
The short answer is, “that shouldn’t happen”. So I can’t suggest a specific fix, it’s just not a typical problem. But I’m hopeful the move towards more proactive monitoring would allow us to engage with you and resolve the issue.

The current thinking here for individual site outages, where we lose communication with a single customer’s premise equipment and this is not part of a larger outage, we would wait some time and then send a notification text offering assistance. Sometimes it’s intended - an electrician turns off a circuit to work on an outlet, or something along those lines. But if it’s unexpected, and if it wasn’t otherwise noticed already, you could respond to the text notification and get assistance. That could include resetting from our side, sending new equipment, or a technician dispatch.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by gatsbylee » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:54 am
@Dane.

I got it.
Thank you for your response.
7 posts Page 1 of 1