Any way to get a bit more info on fiber status?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by mbolling74 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:19 pm
Signed up for fiber that "was available at my address" at the beginning of the month, and yeah I get it if I wanted it "now" i could have gotten the AT&T hookup through Sonic. The status page started at pre-construction from day 1, and is still there and I'm not overly push about getting it done in true Verruca Salt fashion although I wouldn't say no to it happening sooner. But I'm basically wondering if the time frame I should be looking at will be weeks, months or a year+ because while I do appreciate Sonic as a service I do need internet and I'm wondering if any sort of year long commitment to my existing service will bite me in the butt later.

Also what should I have ready as far as access to home? I ask because my garage looks more like a storage locker than an empty spot where one parks a garage and in the past whether it's been Sonic (was a past customer, but 6Mbps DSL wasn't cutting it for me) or Xfinity they've all been insistent on entry into the garage and running wire along exposed beams to my office (middle of the house) and whenever I suggested going to the roof and then down the stairway opening (also middle of the house) they've always been hesitant (or unwillng) to do so. Basically access through my garage is currently not going to be possible without an act of god, so I'm wondering what access needs to be had, I assume it's similar instead of twisted pairs or coax there's a fiber line to a "modem" which then goes to a router then Cat6e to anything that needs it (where I'd do all the work after the "modem" part?
by ngufra » Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:37 am
Maybe you can install a 3/4 in conduit from the garage to wherever you want under the house and when install time comes, they will just push the fiber down the conduit.
by dcokenias » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:12 am
Scroll through this forum and check some of the dates, it could definitely be longer than a year.

My neighborhood has had sonic fiber on poles since April 2022 and still no service. Sonic forecasts starting installations in "December 2022". I don't know how many people are ahead of me in line, or if the December date is more than a guess.

Routers keep getting cheaper, I recommend waiting until the last minute to buy anything.
3 posts Page 1 of 1