[Guide] What equipment to buy for Sonic 10 Gigabits Fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
143 posts Page 3 of 15
by dane » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:05 am
Yep, exactly. There are solutions today and we have many customers using them, but if you can wait a while, the offerings will mature.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by johnhontran » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:18 am
Asus RT-AX89X $343.42
I have purchased the above. I did the settings so that it does WAN over 10g Tbase port. After everything has been completed. I ran a test directly from the router (inside Asus router settings) and I'm not seeing the full or close to 10Gigabits connect speed. Am I'm getting throttled by Sonic?
by dane » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:27 am
johnhontran wrote:Asus RT-AX89X $343.42
I have purchased the above. I did the settings so that it does WAN over 10g Tbase port. After everything has been completed. I ran a test directly from the router (inside Asus router settings) and I'm not seeing the full or close to 10Gigabits connect speed. Am I'm getting throttled by Sonic?
Nope, of course not.

I would expect that if you connect a fast laptop directly to the ONT and test using the native speedtest.net app (be sure and select a Sonic server to ensure speed test capacity isn't an issue), then you'll see results at over 8000Mbps of throughput. If you see anything less on the other side of your router, it'd be your router slowing things down. The best bet then would be to start with Asus support.

Testing in a web browser will be far slower, and of course, WiFi is also slow compared to Ethernet.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by johnhontran » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:50 am
I have a computer nearby I'll plug it directly to that to test tonight. Will check and see what speed I'm getting from the ONT.

Then again i would expected the installer would have tested it to see what type of bandwidth the ONT is providing.
by dane » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:55 am
johnhontran wrote:I have a computer nearby I'll plug it directly to that to test tonight. Will check and see what speed I'm getting from the ONT.

Then again i would expected the installer would have tested it to see what type of bandwidth the ONT is providing.
Yes, they're supposed to. But I checked your individual installation workflow and I only see tests from a phone on WiFi. I've already got an inquiry in to field to check on that.

But fundamentally, fiber-optic networks don't go different speeds. It's XGS-PON, which is 10Gbps technology, and which after all of the various overheads delivers about 8,600Mbps of payload throughput. Seeing lower speeds would almost always mean issues with the capacity of something like the customer premise router, or a limitation in how you're connected - Ethernet cable, laptop/desktop Ethernet capacity, IO capacity of the computer, av software interfering with performance, etc. And don't get me started on WiFi. =)
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by johnhontran » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:08 pm
Thank you, sir! The installer asked us for a laptop. Which at that time we didnt have one. Didnt know we needed one to test. But I'm not even sure the new laptop i have got an Ethernet port on it. Would have been great if he/she showed us the ONT is ~8,600Mbps+.

I used my phone app to access the AX89 router configuration. In the configuration QOS settings it has a section for internet speed test. Which is the same one Speedtest by Ookla. Thats is was how i got the speed. Phone wifi would not achieve 3Kmbps.

Thanks again!
by dane » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:43 pm
My own experience testing a TP-Link “10Gbps” device led me to the conclusion that they had issues with the in-device testing. I think it actually ran in the admin interface via the browser on demand, and it seemed far too short a test for a fast connection like this. Plus running on a little CPU. And who knows what test server it was using, how much capacity it had and where it was located. It showed 1.5-3Gbps at various times.

A computer behind it could attain about 6,000Mbps. But eliminating the router, the laptop pretty consistently got 8,600Mbps. They couldn’t figure out why it was slow in the speed test or in the throughput, but this was early, pre-release gear. Maybe they’ve resolved the issues. This is all very new right now.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by johnhontran » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:32 pm
Thanks, Dane!

One question I was reading this...
My real Multi-Gig Internet speed
Upon completing the installation, the friendly Sonic technician did a test at the ONT with his special equipment.

“8 gigs down and 5 gigs up,” he said, “It’ll probably get faster once the ONT has been updated. Give it a day or two. It’ll be different.”

From the link: https://dongknows.com/10gbps-internet-u ... PDEw0GuXW0

Since it was only installed yesterday, is there an update my ONT is waiting on?
by keithah42 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:37 am
I am in the Ingleside Neighborhood of San Francisco and recently got 10 Gigabit Fiber!

I have a UDM SE Router, terminating the RJ45 from the ONT using a random RJ45 SFP+ since the built in ethernet only does 2.5G, then fiber SFP+'s in both the UDM and a USW Agg Switch.

I have a MacBook Pro M1 Pro, w/ a OWC Thunderbolt Pro Dock which has 10gbe to my desktop thru the USW Agg Switch and a RJ45 SFP+.

I use SpeedTest++ compiled on my Mac and here are some of the tests I've ran: (for some reason, it doesn't always give me speed result urls that I can link)
https://www.speedtest.net/result/14017136089.png
https://www.speedtest.net/result/14019101464.png
https://www.speedtest.net/result/14026820841.png

I have also ran the SpeedTest MacOS desktop app, which seems to be a little slower, but still amazing:
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/493249850
https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/493253378

I make sure to set the Speedtest server to the Sonic.net one, located in San Jose.

The 'special equipment' my tech had was a OWC 10 Gigabit Ethernet Thunderbolt Adapter and asked if I could try it with my MBP since I didn't have my Dock yet and I got much better speeds on my Mac as he did on his Windows laptop, Lenovo I think.

I'm running U6 Pro for wifi, which is only giving me ~600mbps, even with 160mhz channels (I blame the neighbors, haha) but of course, nothing to do with the actual internet connection, which is beyond fast. I am so amazed I can get speeds this fast at home!!

Thank you so much Dane and Sonic.net!
by thejimmyz » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 am
keithah42 wrote:I am in the Ingleside Neighborhood of San Francisco and recently got 10 Gigabit Fiber!
https://www.speedtest.net/result/14017136089.png
Thank you so much Dane and Sonic.net!
Holy Moley! 9981.84 down and 8003.48 up! Congrats for your Unify setup and congrats to Dane & team.

I also love my Sonic Fiber.
While our fastest RG/WiFi router is 2.5Gbps today, it’s likely that will change. Before investing in bleeding-edge consumer gear, maybe wait to see what we end up providing.
Dane, any more info on when and which vendor you are thinking?
I got tired of the bleeding edge/ beta tester Asus ROG-GTAXE16000 and went for an Eero Pro 6E, and yes it really is "Wifi that just works" :) but limited to 1.3 Gps even with a 2,5 Gbps WAN port.

and I don't have closet for a 19" rack to prosumer all the way ;)
143 posts Page 3 of 15