[Guide] What equipment to buy for Sonic 10 Gigabits Fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
143 posts Page 2 of 15
by dane » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:07 pm
With a GPON connection which uses 1Gbps technology, I’d expect you to see a peak total payload (throughput after overhead) of around 930Mbps. Overheads include things like TCP (transmission control protocol) and IP (internet protocol), headers, etc.

With an XGS-PON connection which uses 10Gbps technology, payload after overhead will be around 8,600Mbps. XGS has more overhead than GPON, with forward error correction (FEC) being the biggest impact.

These would be the maximum speeds you’d see displayed on a well-connected system (on Ethernet at 1Gbps or 10Gbps) using FTP or a speed test app. Browser-based tests, devices on WiFi and other factors such as VPN, proxy, or antivirus software can slow your device’s throughput.

For more on throughput and overhead, see: https://www.cablefree.net/wireless-tech ... -ethernet/
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by artakamoose » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:28 pm
Thanks for the explanation, Dane. As another data point, I got right around 8.5G or so when the tech and I hooked a laptop directly to the ONT.
by daniel15 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:30 pm
laikitso wrote:
daniel15 wrote: I've got this one preordered - I'll post an update in this forum once it's arrived and I've tested it :)
throughput.
Looking forward to it. It looks like most people reached at limit of 8Gbps down.
Just got my ER8411 on Monday. I haven't fully moved over to it yet, but it's sitting on my desk for testing.

My setup:
  • TP-Link ER8411 router
  • Wiitek SFP+ to RJ45 module to connect Sonic ONT to the router
  • MikroTik CRS312-4C+8XG switch (8 10GbE ports, 4 combo 10GbE or SFP+ ports)
  • Short 10Gtek SFP+ DAC cable to connect router to switch
  • TRENDnet TEG-10GECTX 10GbE PCIe network adapter (Aquantia AQC107 chipset)
I used the Misaka Network, Inc. Speedtest server in San Jose, using the Speedtest Windows app. The Sonic speedtest server was very slow at the time (<2Gbps).

So far I haven't been able to get over ~8Gbps in any speed test. However, the speed I get while directly connected to the ONT is the same as the speed I get via the router and switch, so they both seem sufficient to fully handle the traffic for a 10Gbps connection. The speed test does seem to take a bit longer to hit the top speed when testing via the router, but it does hit the same max speed compared to directly connecting to the ONT.

Speed test: https://www.speedtest.net/result/d/4d5c ... b574433706

I don't think we'll ever be able to get full 10Gbps speed over a standard internet connection... It's a lot of packets to route. At the standard 1500 MTU, it's 14.88 million packets per second, each of which has some overhead and requires some CPU time to handle. "Jumbo frames" / 9000 MTU helps a lot on a LAN (getting closer to full 10Gbps on a local network), but you can't use it on public networks as basically all core routers only support 1500 byte packets.
by dane » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:24 am
In the Speedtest app on your computer, are you able to change the test server to the Sonic one? Because we really have no idea what the capacity of any of the third party test servers are.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by daniel15 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:29 pm
dane wrote:In the Speedtest app on your computer, are you able to change the test server to the Sonic one? Because we really have no idea what the capacity of any of the third party test servers are.
I was only getting ~1.5Gbps from the Sonic server. Maybe it was overloaded at the time I was trying it. How much bandwidth does the speedtest server have?
by tonyluck59 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:11 pm
Sonic 10g isn't quite to my house yet, but I'm trying to get ready.

I bought the Netgate 6100, then found out that the 10G SFP+ ports do not support any copper 10G plug-in adapters :(

Throwing more money at the problem ... there is a Planet XT705-A device that will take 10G copper in (from the Sonic ONT) and has an SFP+ port to connect a DAC cable to the 6100.

Off topic question: How big is the Sonic ONT? When wall mounted are the ports on the left/right/top/bottom?
by dane » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:46 pm
Perhaps best to wait until service is delivered. While our fastest RG/WiFi router is 2.5Gbps today, it’s likely that will change. Before investing in bleeding-edge consumer gear, maybe wait to see what we end up providing.

The ONT is roughly 8” wide by 5” tall. Cables enter from the bottom as I recall. It’s the Adtran 622v model.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by starslip » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:13 am
dane wrote:Perhaps best to wait until service is delivered. While our fastest RG/WiFi router is 2.5Gbps today, it’s likely that will change. Before investing in bleeding-edge consumer gear, maybe wait to see what we end up providing.

The ONT is roughly 8” wide by 5” tall. Cables enter from the bottom as I recall. It’s the Adtran 622v model.
Is that 2.5Gbps at the WAN then 1Gbps LAN ports or does it have multiple 2.5 ports? Can I find that on the equipment rental page?
by dane » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:16 am
Yes, that’s correct. It’s the Eero 6e unit. But I expect we’ll see true 10G Ethernet solutions in the lineup before long, so my point was that I see folks struggling with bugs in the consumer gear that’s been early to market, plus it’s expensive. Waiting a while could help in all of these issues. Residential 10Gbps is just a very new thing.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by starslip » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:30 am
Yeah I understand, was saying to my roommate it feels like very 'early adopter' issues. Finding consumer routers that will support 10g is still difficult and expensive, so I'm not surprised you guys don't have them available to rent. Also understand that in order to encourage manufacturers to produce the hardware the ISP offerings have to be available. I assume at some point it'll balance out.
143 posts Page 2 of 15