[Guide] What equipment to buy for Sonic 10 Gigabits Fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
143 posts Page 7 of 15
by leeaaron92 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:37 pm
allsport2001 wrote: Even when the tech that installed my service used his laptop to test the speed was getting the same but tech support just says that the hardware the tech used wasnt capable of 10gig only thing they offer is sending a truck but they also state there will be a fee if its found to be my hardware.

how do they determine that its our hardware and not the ONT giving proper speeds when even the techs dont have fast enough laptops to test?
Seems like we have had almost exactly the same experience. Installer that installed also didn’t have any hardware and only tested up to 1G.

After the install i bought the 10G router + cat8 cable and couldn’t get past 1G. Also tested with a 2.5G/USB-C adapter that was also capping at 1G.

I do have a truck appointment next week so I guess we’ll see how they determine if it’s equipment on my end/what equipment they have. It’s all just annoying since this could all be resolved if the installer had the proper equipment to test up to 10G after installation.
by allsport2001 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:04 pm
leeaaron92 wrote:
allsport2001 wrote: Even when the tech that installed my service used his laptop to test the speed was getting the same but tech support just says that the hardware the tech used wasnt capable of 10gig only thing they offer is sending a truck but they also state there will be a fee if its found to be my hardware.

how do they determine that its our hardware and not the ONT giving proper speeds when even the techs dont have fast enough laptops to test?
Seems like we have had almost exactly the same experience. Installer that installed also didn’t have any hardware and only tested up to 1G.

After the install i bought the 10G router + cat8 cable and couldn’t get past 1G. Also tested with a 2.5G/USB-C adapter that was also capping at 1G.

I do have a truck appointment next week so I guess we’ll see how they determine if it’s equipment on my end/what equipment they have. It’s all just annoying since this could all be resolved if the installer had the proper equipment to test up to 10G after installation.
Let us know if they fix it and are you in the san jose area as well?
by platypus9000 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:15 pm
aforkosh wrote:I would suggest keeping the connection as simple as possible by actually using a computer with a 10Gbps Ethernet port. When I did this in late November with a MacStudio, I got results of 8.1/7.1Gbps with Sonic.net in San Jose as the target from my Oakland location

Note that computer and equipment retailers have generous enough return policies to support such a one-off test.
I had a Mac Studio and didn't realize it had a 10 gig ethernet port. Tried putting it in the room where the ONT is and I see similar results to what I saw with all the Thunderbolt adapters and the ONT - 800-900mbits.
by rsingel » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:15 pm
The new Mac Mini M2 version has a 10Gbpe add-on for about $100 (less if you qualify for educational discount), which means, if I understand correctly, you could have a desktop computer that is 10Gbpe-capable for less than $600.

https://www.apple.com/us-edu/shop/buy-m ... -gpu-256gb

Which is to ask if I hardwired that into the 10Gbpe port on the modem Sonic put in (see attached), would that work? I don't need it for my wifi router which isn't capable of Wifi6 or gig+ lan, so I should be able to use the currenly unused 1gbpe to run to that.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

by mabruce » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:36 pm
My understanding is that the 1 Gbe port on the ONT is inactive. Only the 10 Gbe port should be used.
by platypus9000 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:52 pm
platypus9000 wrote:
aforkosh wrote:I would suggest keeping the connection as simple as possible by actually using a computer with a 10Gbps Ethernet port. When I did this in late November with a MacStudio, I got results of 8.1/7.1Gbps with Sonic.net in San Jose as the target from my Oakland location

Note that computer and equipment retailers have generous enough return policies to support such a one-off test.
I had a Mac Studio and didn't realize it had a 10 gig ethernet port. Tried putting it in the room where the ONT is and I see similar results to what I saw with all the Thunderbolt adapters and the ONT - 800-900mbits.
A tech from Sonic visited me today and determined that the issue is not with my hardware, fiber run, or with the ONT. There is a ticket with the NOC. I got the impression that this may be a common issue in my area (downtown san jose).
by allsport2001 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:35 am
platypus9000 wrote:
platypus9000 wrote:

A tech from Sonic visited me today and determined that the issue is not with my hardware, fiber run, or with the ONT. There is a ticket with the NOC. I got the impression that this may be a common issue in my area (downtown san jose).
Did the tech give any time frame on a fix for the area and if each of us has to get a truck rolled to our place for the same thing?
by rsingel » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:53 pm
mabruce wrote:My understanding is that the 1 Gbe port on the ONT is inactive. Only the 10 Gbe port should be used.
Thanks so much!

I'll try it out, but that sounds like I'll need some router in the middle to connect both the Mac mini and the WiFi router if the ONT only has one port out active.
by iwilson4 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:14 pm
Chalk another one in the 1Gbps-in-San-Jose column. Naglee Park here, and my brand-new QNAP QHora-322, while negotiating at 10G, isn't able to pull over 1G, despite being connected via a 2.5G link (both on my NAS and my Alienware laptop). I have a 10G NIC on order, in the hopes that if there is some sort of backend issue, I'll be ready when it's cleared.
by allsport2001 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:30 pm
iwilson4 wrote:Chalk another one in the 1Gbps-in-San-Jose column. Naglee Park here, and my brand-new QNAP QHora-322, while negotiating at 10G, isn't able to pull over 1G, despite being connected via a 2.5G link (both on my NAS and my Alienware laptop). I have a 10G NIC on order, in the hopes that if there is some sort of backend issue, I'll be ready when it's cleared.
It would be nice if it is something that can be fixed for all of us that are having this issue. it would suck if each of us had to go through the hoops of having them send a truck first to have them just end up submitting a ticket to figure out why we are being limited to 1Gbps
143 posts Page 7 of 15