[Guide] What equipment to buy for Sonic 10 Gigabits Fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
143 posts Page 11 of 15
by ryanflynn » Tue May 23, 2023 9:50 am
Do you mean "threat management"?
by bernaards » Wed May 24, 2023 8:41 pm
Yep, that’s what meant. Though the UDM has reported no intrusion attempts yet. Oddly.
I’m using Cloudflare DNS 1.1.1.1.
Hope Sonic is working well for you.
by anthonybest » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:57 pm
I am running a UDM Pro (Not the SE). I have IDS/IPS disabled and I am stilling seeing max throughput of 4500 down and i am maxing out at around 500 up…

I can pull nearly 8000 down symmetrical from the ONT Using a OWC 10GE Ethernet adapter directly from the ONT. Any information on the config would be helpful. I am curious if i need to completely run a factory reset and rebuild the network from scratch.

I have rebooted the ONT, Rebooted the router multiple times. I have enabled IPv6 on the network. Port 10 is set as the default WAN Port using an FS RJ45 SFP+ adapter for both WAN and LAN ports.

I am open to any suggestions or help here. I have a case logged with Ubiquiti already and maybe they can shed some light on it.
by js9erfan » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:23 pm
anthonybest wrote:I am running a UDM Pro (Not the SE). I have IDS/IPS disabled and I am stilling seeing max throughput of 4500 down and i am maxing out at around 500 up…

I can pull nearly 8000 down symmetrical from the ONT Using a OWC 10GE Ethernet adapter directly from the ONT. Any information on the config would be helpful. I am curious if i need to completely run a factory reset and rebuild the network from scratch.

I have rebooted the ONT, Rebooted the router multiple times. I have enabled IPv6 on the network. Port 10 is set as the default WAN Port using an FS RJ45 SFP+ adapter for both WAN and LAN ports.

I am open to any suggestions or help here. I have a case logged with Ubiquiti already and maybe they can shed some light on it.
Not a big fan of Ubiquiti's gateways and their latest UNC release is a mess. With that out of the way here are some things I would try since you've already tested off the ONT:

-Ensure you're running the latest firmware and reset to defaults. Start with the basics and a small rule set while testing from the default LAN.
-Test with IDS/IPS disabled and any QoS/smart queues that may be set. Try disabling flow control as well.
-Try a different SFP+ module. Of course Ubiquiti recommends their own.

You might have better luck posting on Ubiquiti's forums. Seems there's more responsive users there than their own support staff 8-)
by pjorgensen » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:30 pm
Can I connect a 2.5gb router to the 10gb Sonic ONT? The documentation for the Adtran 622V indicates that it does support 2.5gb.
by geotag_chimney » Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:23 pm
Can I configure a Mac Mini with a 10Gbe port as a firewall/router?
Connect directly to ONT.

On its (2 or 4) Thunderbolt ports:
Add two USB-C -> 2.5G dongles (or Thunderbolt->10Gbe for 10G) to act as LAN ports?

I would connect those to my wifi (2.5G) or a 2.5G switch, and my main computer at 2.5G or 10G.

With discount, I could get a M2 Mac Mini for $599 (incl 10G).
It's a little more expensive than a high-end wifi router, but I get a whole Mac Mini 2.

Thanks,
-Geo
by daniel15 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:50 pm
I've been using the TP-Link ER8411 since November last year, and it's still going well:

I'm using it along with a Mikrotik CRS312-4C+8XG-RM switch. Not the cheapest combination at $350 for the router and ~$500 for the switch, but the switch does have 8 x 10Gbps Ethernet ports and 4 x 10Gbps combo Ethernet and SFP+ ports. I've got the router and switch connected via a SFP+ DAC cable, but everything else is connected via CAT6.

CAT6 can easily hit the max speeds of Sonic internet in most residential settings (cable runs less than 55-60 meters). You don't really need CAT8 or even CAT6A.
by laikitso » Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:39 pm
I've been running a speed test daily since I've switched over to Sonic fiber. The speed has been consistently stable at 8.1Gbps down and 6.5Gbp up.
screenshot.png
screenshot.png (171.08 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
by haodiep » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:16 am
Hello all,

I am a new Sonic 10Gbps Fiber user. Sonic just installed the 10Gbps fiber service for me last week.

I am using Asus AX89X router 10Gb Base-T port to connect to the 10Gb ONT. I performed the speed test on the router interface, but the max speed I could got around 2.5Gb up and 3.7Gb up. I did many times and selected other servers for testing. But that was my max speed and it was rarely to hit that, mostly was 900Mb - 1.2Gb.

I also tried to test the server outside US, such as Japan, HK, Singapore. The speed just reach 100Mb -150Mb.

So, is my service be throttled? And Sonic is limited the bandwidth to international/ outside US?

How canI get the 10Gb speed or just even close to that?

Can I bypass the ONT and connect the Fiber direct to the SFP+ port on my router?

Also, I have another question. I know Sonic will not provide tech support or troubleshooting for the router problem if we are using our own equipment. But how about if the ONT device get problem or the Fiber outside street got broken by tree fall or damaged by trash pickup truck?

Will Sonic still support to fix those problems?

Thanks all!
by tarzxf » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:40 pm
I posted earlier in the thread about a $200 machine from Woot and a 10G card from ebay. I've found the same machine on ebay without storage for $70: https://www.ebay.com/itm/155674136738

Find a cheap m.2 or sata drive you've got laying around (ask the IT team at work?), install your ebay 10G card and pfsense/opnsense and carry on.
143 posts Page 11 of 15