At a loss on how to figure out where the bottle neck is with new Sonic fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by goldserve » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:35 pm
I had ATT fiber before, connected to my virtualized pfsense that is connected to my switch via SFP+. I have a WG tunnel back to my parents home which is in Canada, using Bell Fiber. With ATT, I was able to get ~10MB/sec windows SMB transfers and now with Sonic, I have the exact same setup, I just asked my parents to change the endpoint address to my new Sonic WAN address and I find out the same windows transfer is under 1MB/sec most of the time.

Using another file transfer protocol, I used 6 parallel threads of SFTP and was able to get ~250KB/sec each thread.

Using iperf2 and iperf3, I played with window sizes, default settings and was only able to get 4Mbit/sec across our links.

I am at a loss on how to diagnose where the bottleneck is on this new service. I'm beginning to think the datacenter connection to the rest of the world might not be as robust as ATT and comcast. Please prove me wrong.

Oh, and ping times are ~70ms with nothing obvious when doing a trace route.
by artakamoose » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:18 pm
Is you Sonic connection 1G or 10G? If 10G, what's the CPU usage on your pfSense box look like?

I ask for a couple of reasons. I've read a few reports that pfSense can struggle with 10G connections. So, I'm curious if that's the case for you also. And if it is, maybe that's also limiting the CPU resources available for your VPN?
by goldserve » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:17 am
Service is 10g and on a speed test on another VM not attached to Wi-Fi, I can do around 2.2G down and up. I’m happy with that and since the exact same vpn and client was used with ATT, I’d be happy with the same 80-100mbit to get to my parent’s computer in Canada.
by artakamoose » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:44 pm
I was just assuming you're running the Wireguard server on pfSense. If that's not the case, forget I even mentioned it. Still, it's weird you're only getting 2.2G up/down on the other VM. Could be a few reasons for that (one of which would be my original thought), but who knows.

Anyway, I also tested some Wireguard connections to Canada and I'm getting 200-300M up/down. Who know if those are necessarily indicative of how the connection between you and your parents is being routed though.
4 posts Page 1 of 1