First Day with Sonic Gig Fiber…

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 1 of 2
by jeromythomas » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:58 am
Get fiber they said, it’s fast they said…

https://ibb.co/2N1qTQN

This is standing next to the router, is this normal? Does weather somehow affect fiber speeds?
by joeyyung911 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:12 pm
How 'bout you give more info!!!!!!!!!!
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by jeromythomas » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:14 pm
Such as? I attached the link showing the ridiculously slow DL/UL and ping… what more do you want?
by dane » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:17 pm
No, that's odd. I do see three things right off the top that could be contributing to speed issues thought:
  1. Testing from WiFi. The capabilities of WiFi are lower than 1Gbps from virtually all devices. We generally see maximum speeds on WiFi devices that range from 350Mbps to 700Mbps, depending upon the age of the device. Some very new systems can achieve 1200Mbps, but that's not common. You'll see the best performance on Ethernet-connected devices, up to around 940Mbps on the gigabit service and about 8,600Mbps on the ten-gigabit technology platform.
  2. Testing with a speed test on Speakeasy, another ISP. No idea how that test server is configured or connected. I would suggest using the Sonic hosted speed test at http://sonic.com/speedtest/, or for maximum performance (critical on 10Gbps) the Speedtest.net native app on your laptop or phone.
  3. Testing with an privacy relay enabled. It seems to be showing that privacy relay as a first hop, and it'd be my guess that could be a feature that would slow down access at higher speeds.
Fiber-optic technology isn't affected by interference, water, etc, and it won't connect at anything other than the one speed that it's set for. This isn't DSL or Cable, where it adapts to those issues, and you could see a range of performance. So speed testing really helps find the local issues with the in-home network, with wifi, and with devices and their capabilities.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by virtualmike » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:42 pm
The screen shot looks like it's on a handheld device, perhaps connected via 2.4 GHz.
by mabruce » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:43 pm
The high latency could also could be caused by "iCloud Private Relay".
by ngufra » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:45 am
The icloud private relay or 2.4 GHz wifi would not explain why the upstream is different from the downstream.
Icloud hides your location for dns queries and most everything, so the host used for the speed test is not necessarily close to you (it used one in LA)

Something is not right but as others mentioned, you need to provide more details.

To evaluate the speed of your connection to sonic, you should remove all other variables:
Connect a computer with a 1 Gbps ethernet adapter with a 1Gbps rated ethernet cable to a 1 Gbps port on the router (potentially through a switch) connected to the fiber adapter (again with 1 Gbps rated ethernet cable).
Connect directly (without vpn, or relay) to a speed test server (e.g. the one from sonic or speedtest.net) and perform test at various times of the day.
Do not run other programs or have other people use the network at the same time as the test to ensure you can use the whole available bandwidth.

If you do this and still get inconsistent speed then dial 611 and have sonic help.
by brandonc » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:32 am
Hi Jeromy,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing slow speeds. I took a look at your connection from our end and I can see that the Eero routers are receiving 948.12 Mbps down and 1000 Mbps up on the internal speedtest, so the full speeds are reaching up to the Eeros.

I will echo what others have recommended already and try testing with an Ethernet cable to the Eeros, then run another speedtest at sonic.com/speedtest. If you are still seeing slow speeds, try bypassing the Eeros and plug a computer via Ethernet into the ONT directly, then try running a speedtest again.

If the speedtests are showing the same speeds directly to the ONT, I would try testing with another device/computer if possible, so that you can rule out the individual device being the issue.

If need be, you can always give us a phone call to help troubleshoot with you in real time.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
by jimstinnett » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:24 pm
jeromythomas wrote:Get fiber they said, it’s fast they said…

https://ibb.co/2N1qTQN

This is standing next to the router, is this normal? Does weather somehow affect fiber speeds?
Use a Cat6 cable with a Gbit adapter, WiFi isn't that fast,. especially if you have some old gear.
by goldserve » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:01 pm
My first day with Sonic 10G lasted 2 hours before the red fiber light came on. I'm guessing there is so much activity in my neighborhood that another tech must have done something to affect my connection. Luckily i did not cancel any ATT service yet.
14 posts Page 1 of 2