First Day with Sonic Gig Fiber…

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
14 posts Page 2 of 2
by dane » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:41 am
goldserve wrote:My first day with Sonic 10G lasted 2 hours before the red fiber light came on. I'm guessing there is so much activity in my neighborhood that another tech must have done something to affect my connection. Luckily i did not cancel any ATT service yet.
Did we get this resolved for you?
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by soniclvr » Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:38 pm
jeromythomas wrote:Get fiber they said, it’s fast they said…

https://ibb.co/2N1qTQN

This is standing next to the router, is this normal? Does weather somehow affect fiber speeds?

It says right there on your speedtest. You are using Apple's VPNish thing so they are the limiting factor. Your speeds will be a fraction of what Sonic provides as you are sharing BW with every other Apple user on that server.

I think native apps dont use private relay. Do a speed test on a native app (speedtest.net v.g.) see what you get. Still WIFI will be limiting you.
by dane » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:23 pm
A browser based speed test will often be slow just due to limitations in the software’s performance. A native app, either on mobile or PC is best. But on fiber you’ll see limits due to wifi performance before you reach the full speed of the fiber. Devices on Ethernet can get faster speed.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by goldserve » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:51 pm
dane wrote:
goldserve wrote:My first day with Sonic 10G lasted 2 hours before the red fiber light came on. I'm guessing there is so much activity in my neighborhood that another tech must have done something to affect my connection. Luckily i did not cancel any ATT service yet.
Did we get this resolved for you?
Yes, this was resolved for me by a truck roll the next day. Turns out bad termination at the ONT which is a common thing?? And the weird part is it worked all of two hours before failing. Must be some weird vibrations in my house or something but all good now.

The problem I have now is some bad route or packet loss to my parents house in Canada on fiber as well. Don’t know how to debug this one.
14 posts Page 2 of 2