Solid, affordable router for fiber 10g?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 1 of 2
by kaeigen » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:29 pm
I've had Sonic fiber for a couple of months, and have been having problems with brief, frequent connection dropouts. Support says that there's no visible problems on their end and that it must be my router, which is an Archer C7.

Can anyone recommend a solid, affordable router that will work well with 10G fiber? I don't think that the Eero kit that Sonic is offering is right for me, since I live in a studio apartment and don't need the mesh capabilities.

Thanks
by charles2 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:04 pm
We have an Archer A8 router for our Sonic fiber service, without frequent dropouts.

Have you determined which drops out: the router connection to the Internet, or one or more wi-fi devices' connection to the router?

To give an example of how varied the causes of dropouts can be, my tablet would lose connection occasionally, easily restored. The problem turned out to be use of our microwave oven, and a solution was simply to rotate the position of the oven a few degrees.
by kaeigen » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:21 pm
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not sure what the problem is, and am also not sure how to troubleshoot. I've tried resetting the router to factory settings, but the problem continued. There isn't anything in between my router and the place I use most of my devices, and the distance is only about 6 feet. Also, when the connection drops out, it drops out for all of my devices, not just one.
by charles2 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:27 pm
Presumably you have the Tether app on a tablet or smartphone, the app that controls your Archer router. Leave it open at one of its screens, e.g., the main Status screen, so you can glance at it when a dropout happens.
by bayfiber » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:41 am
You're going to have to go with lower priced business-grade equipment if you want 10GB support. I suggest https://mikrotik.com/products for quality hardware.
by alexwu » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:53 pm
I am planning to get one of these if they are on sale on Black Friday:
ASUS AX6000 WiFi 6 Gaming Router (RT-AX89X)
QNAP QHora-301W
by kgc » Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:39 am
Ubiquiti's UDM products may be a reasonable choice especially if you want to commit to their access points. With DPS and IDS enabled they can only do about 3.5gbps but those aren't strictly necessary, it's not clear what people are getting in the real world with just 10g NAT. Like others have said, there aren't a lot of consumer 10g options available and I suspect most aren't able to actually push 10g of traffic.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by ngufra » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:08 pm
Engenius will soon release the ESG620 which has 2 SPF at 10Gbps and 8 ports at 2.5Gbps.
I attended a demo and it seems very easy to setup yet have a good feature set.
by kaeigen » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:11 pm
Thanks for all of the suggestions, but when I said affordable I was hoping for something under $200, preferably even under $150. The speeds of about 300-400Mb that I get with my current router are ok with me, I just want the connection to be more reliable.

I don't know for sure that my current router is causing the problem, but it seems possible since all of the connections go off at once and Sonic support claims they don't see anything on their end.
by artakamoose » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:02 am
kaeigen wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions, but when I said affordable I was hoping for something under $200, preferably even under $150. The speeds of about 300-400Mb that I get with my current router are ok with me, I just want the connection to be more reliable.

I don't know for sure that my current router is causing the problem, but it seems possible since all of the connections go off at once and Sonic support claims they don't see anything on their end.
I'd bet good money it's your C7. I've owned various consumer wifi routers over the years (Archer, Asus, and Netgear) and have used official and 3rd party firmware with almost all of them (often 3rd party was better, especially Merlin). They all went down occasionally though. You'd fret for a few minutes, go through the whole reboot your modem/router/computer cycle, and then be back up and running.

I switched to a Unifi router a few years ago and haven't looked back. I've never had it go down, ever, in several years. I had some problems with their APs cutting out, but then figured out it was a problem with radar and DFS channels in my neighborhood. They've been rock solid ever since I moved off of DFS channels. I know Unifi has it's issues, but it's been bombproof for me. We had three people working full-time from home during the pandemic and our network never went down. I couldn't have been happier with the investment in hardware and time to set everything up. Plenty of people swear by pfSense combined with APs from Aruba, Engenius, Ruckus, etc. (which can be found for reasonable prices on the used market). There's more of a learning curve with those solutions than your typical consumer routers, but you definitely get what you pay for. A little bit more money and time up front will save you lots of time and headache down the road.
12 posts Page 1 of 2