Solid, affordable router for fiber 10g?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
12 posts Page 2 of 2
by ngufra » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:30 am
To make use of it you would need the router, switch and all device adapters be 10Gbps (though if only the router/switch is that means you could have up to 10 devices pulling 1 Gbps each concurrently)
This will be a larger investment that $150.
Most Wifi these days are below Gbps. (802.11ax can theoretically do 9608 Mbps but it's fairly uncommon)

I think it's here someone reported buying a pc on woot and fitting it with a 10Gbps 2 ports network card and running pfSense.

I run pfSense on a small qotom fanless computer (look them up on ebay or amazon)
On 1Gbps fiber, I get around 900 Mbps at https://www.sonic.com/speedtest on my laptop (wired ethernet)
for wifi i have 3 engenius EAP series access points. They look like smoke alarms.
On wifi I get up to around 400-500 Mbps but never notice the difference except when moving the occasional large file.

You can get pfsense on appliances from netgate if you'd rather get a pre-made/pre-installed system, but the first one with 10Gbps adapters is $800

I used to be a big fan of dd-wrt and then asus merlin. The only issue I ever had was every year in early April the Merlin UI seemed to break https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxyv0cfToZk

As a conclusion:
If you want to save money, professional graded used equipment may be a good option but may not be as fast as current
If you build it yourself you can get more features for less money
Sonic is probably evaluating a router/switch running at 10 Gbps you will be able to rent
and finally: you probably don't NEED 10 Gbps yet
by daniel15 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:00 pm
kgc wrote:Ubiquiti's UDM products may be a reasonable choice especially if you want to commit to their access points. With DPS and IDS enabled they can only do about 3.5gbps but those aren't strictly necessary, it's not clear what people are getting in the real world with just 10g NAT. Like others have said, there aren't a lot of consumer 10g options available and I suspect most aren't able to actually push 10g of traffic.
UDM Pro is $380 and my understanding is that even with DPS/IDS disabled, they can only reach ~7 to 8 Gbps NAT throughput, with a 1.7Ghz quad-core ARM Cortex-A57 processor.

TP-Link ER8411 is $350 and can reach ~9.4Gbps (close to the theoretical maximum once overheards are factored in), with a 2.4Ghz quad-core processor (not sure which model). Not released yet, but B&H are taking preorders.
12 posts Page 2 of 2