email only working when on VPN

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
6 posts Page 1 of 1
by xtian.stratus » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:50 pm
Hi, I'm pulling my hair out over some email trouble -
When on sonic VPN, I have no trouble, but when I'm not on VPN, I can't connect to my email service provider's server (cpanel on bluehost). My mail client (Mac mail) only seems to work on VPN and my wife's email is not working (not on VPN)

I spent a couple hours with bluehost's tech support this morning and their conclusion was that there's a cache somewhere in my ISP service that needs to be cleared. I assumed they meant in my modem but after a bit of searching, I didn't find anything that seemed relevant.

Looking for solutions, Thanks!

Sonic Gigabit over ATT fiber
Sonic OpenVPN
ATT Motorola Arris NVG589
by syntaxsid1 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:18 am
Hello,

Have you contacted our support team about this? If you haven't reached a solution yet, I suggest calling our team to see how we can help you with this. Since it's the resold AT&T Uverse type of service, we may need to have AT&T reset the line to see if this helps. Give us a call so we can investigate at your convenience, if you are still encountering this problem. Have a great day!

Support line 707-547-3400

Cheers,

Jeff M
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by samuelbrown » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:11 am
Same problem. Bluehost site and email don't work. VPN fixes issue but it's not really a solution.
by dane » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:25 am
Might be a port blocking issue. Some discussion and ideas might be found here: https://www.google.com/search?q=bluehos ... and+uverse
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by kgc » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:12 pm
Are you trying to use port 25 (SMTP) or port 587 (Submission)? Port 25 ought to be blocked.
Kelsey Cummings
System Architect, Sonic.net, Inc.
by samuelbrown » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:49 pm
After a few calls to Bluehost and Sonic, and a 30min modem reset, with no success, I plugged my mac directly into the ethernet and it was working fine. Turns out my Airport Extreme was glitchy. A hard reset didn't fix it but reinstalling the firmware (7.9.1) did. I'm guessing the firmware got corrupted.

Why would this only affect Bluehost sites? That is something I couldn't even begin to answer. All I know is what worked for me. But we'll see if it stays working.

So try the ethernet thing. If it works, it probably means something in your router got funky.

UPDATE: The router is NOT the main problem. I'm still having this issue. I had a similar experience on a different ISP (T-Mobile 5G Home) in another state. So I'm still trying to figure this out.
6 posts Page 1 of 1