Sonic IS (was: not) really 10G

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 1 of 2
by naghshineh » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:04 pm
somehow lost the old post. ok I have made much progress!

Firstly - Flow control, had to turn that off
Second - The power adapter to the ONT was not supplying enough power!! This drove me nuts to figure out but got a new power supply and its working! speed is now 2X
Third - Updated NIC driver got 15% perf boost
Fourth - Changed speedtest software to ooklah speedtest cli (slightly faster speeds somehow but only another 10%)

Upload is still terrible however downloading is looking great
Screenshot 2022-10-09 004516.png
Screenshot 2022-10-09 004516.png (190.46 KiB) Viewed 6415 times
(Moderator: Subject line edited, as the claim was not accurate, as shown by updates and replies. -DJ)
by dane » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:28 pm
Are you speed testing using a browser-based test, or the Speedtest.net app, or another solution? Browsers generally can't keep up, so FTP or a native app is necessary to achieve full-speed results.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by joeyyung911 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:16 pm
What speed you get from the ONT?
Excelsior, Sonic Fiber
by tlefkowicz » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:00 pm
It’s a lot faster than our Sonic AT&T resold service, which has been down for SIX DAYS with no end in sight. It’d be nice if your customers that have been without any internet since Monday, October 3 at Noon could get this level of responsiveness.
by jerrielm » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:52 am
tlefkowicz wrote:It’s a lot faster than our Sonic AT&T resold service, which has been down for SIX DAYS with no end in sight. It’d be nice if your customers that have been without any internet since Monday, October 3 at Noon could get this level of responsiveness.
Hello!

We have just checked your service and it seems that the AT&T outage has been cleared but you will need an additional dispatch to repair the issue. We will be sending out AT&T tomorrow between 8am-12pm. Please give us a call if you have any other issues.

Best Wishes!
by gatsbylee » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:04 pm
well. it should bandwidth, not speed.
maybe the target server doesn't have enough bandwidth to test 10G,

Although it doesn't reach to 10G, who cares.
anyway, very likely you won't use 10G every single second/mement.
by starslip » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:08 pm
naghshineh wrote: Second - The power adapter to the ONT was not supplying enough power!! This drove me nuts to figure out but got a new power supply and its working! speed is now 2X
Which ONT (they apparently use a couple different ones) and how did you figure this out?
by johnhontran » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:31 am
starslip wrote:
naghshineh wrote: Second - The power adapter to the ONT was not supplying enough power!! This drove me nuts to figure out but got a new power supply and its working! speed is now 2X
Which ONT (they apparently use a couple different ones) and how did you figure this out?
Yeah, I want to know what power supply you replaced it with to get 2x the speed I'm only getting 3kmbps. This is directly from ONT to my Asus AX89 connected directly to the 10GBE port. Sonic just got this installed yesterday. I'm not impressed. I would be happy with around 9k speed

Maybe, Sonic need to replace the power supply for me?
by dane » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:00 pm
John, are you looking at the speed test shown in the interface of the Asus itself? I think that CPU or the browser they use for that may not support the very high speeds necessary. We struggled with this with Eero for a long while, and they ended up having to change the testing inside the device, as well as place test target servers inside our network, to avoid showing speeds slower than the actual connection speed.

Routers are fast at routing packets, but often have slow CPUs, which can create some confusion at times. Ping response for example can be super slow, while a router is pumping normal traffic at screaming fast speed. They just aren't built for that.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by dane » Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:46 pm
naghshineh wrote:somehow lost the old post. ok I have made much progress!

Firstly - Flow control, had to turn that off
Second - The power adapter to the ONT was not supplying enough power!! This drove me nuts to figure out but got a new power supply and its working! speed is now 2X
Third - Updated NIC driver got 15% perf boost
Fourth - Changed speedtest software to ooklah speedtest cli (slightly faster speeds somehow but only another 10%)

Upload is still terrible however downloading is looking great

Screenshot 2022-10-09 004516.png
Now that you've figured out the problem, will you edit the subject line for this post? It frustrates me every time I see it, as it's just not true.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
15 posts Page 1 of 2