Sonic IS (was: not) really 10G

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
15 posts Page 2 of 2
by alexz » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:14 am
dane wrote:
naghshineh wrote:somehow lost the old post. ok I have made much progress!

Firstly - Flow control, had to turn that off
Second - The power adapter to the ONT was not supplying enough power!! This drove me nuts to figure out but got a new power supply and its working! speed is now 2X
Third - Updated NIC driver got 15% perf boost
Fourth - Changed speedtest software to ooklah speedtest cli (slightly faster speeds somehow but only another 10%)

Upload is still terrible however downloading is looking great

Screenshot 2022-10-09 004516.png
Now that you've figured out the problem, will you edit the subject line for this post? It frustrates me every time I see it, as it's just not true.
To be fair, seeing $40* emblazoned all over everything Sonic frustrated me every time I saw it, as it's just not true. * $40 inclusive of a $10/mo discount for new customers only, but exclusive of $10/mo mandatory** modem rental. ** Mandatory according to the phone reps but not the employees posting to the forums when you guys started rolling out fiber in 94116. Boy that mandatory Pace unit was hot garbage to put it charitably.

Now, any rational person might wonder why I'm up at 2AM posting. Well, it turns out the 10G service (94606) is waaaaaaaaaaay flakier and waaaaaaaaay less reliable than the 1G service (94116) I used to have using the same gigabit hardware hooked up to the ONT at both locations.  The intermittent packet loss and latency spikes have mostly subsided but now here we are with an indefinite "maintenance" window. An E60 M5 by any other name…
by cadoretti » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:47 am
alexz wrote:
To be fair, seeing $40* emblazoned all over everything Sonic frustrated me every time I saw it, as it's just not true. * $40 inclusive of a $10/mo discount for new customers only, but exclusive of $10/mo mandatory** modem rental. ** Mandatory according to the phone reps but not the employees posting to the forums when you guys started rolling out fiber in 94116. Boy that mandatory Pace unit was hot garbage to put it charitably.

Now, any rational person might wonder why I'm up at 2AM posting. Well, it turns out the 10G service (94606) is waaaaaaaaaaay flakier and waaaaaaaaay less reliable than the 1G service (94116) I used to have using the same gigabit hardware hooked up to the ONT at both locations.  The intermittent packet loss and latency spikes have mostly subsided but now here we are with an indefinite "maintenance" window. An E60 M5 by any other name…
Settle down there. This isn't related to this thread at all. You've got a lot of questionable statements in there as well. Modem is optional, at least when it is sonic provided. They've explained this complaint often in other threads

I'd really appreciate if you trolls didn't try and ruin the top tier support we get with so many staff members including the CEO posting here and making sure our problems get addressed. They simultaneously do this while not adding caps and working to LOWER pricing while releasing a 10x speed increase as an industry leader, pushing the sloth turtle of comcast out of my life hopefully forever.
by keithah42 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:45 am
I posted my equipment and some speedtests here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17472&p=61103#p61103

tldr: I am definitely getting nearly 10G speeds, and much faster than any other residential service available (in our area or otherwise) and for the cost, this is truly mind blowing for me.
by erwincoumans » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:06 pm
Getting about 10G download, 8Gbit upload using ASUS RT-AX89X Router, 10G switch (Unify Flex XG 10Gbit) and Sonnet 10G Solo USB-C/thunderbolt network cards and TP-Link 10GB PCIe Network Cards (TX401). This is using native apps (Ookla or open source). Browser based tests are slightly slower: about 8Gbit download for https://www.sonic.com/speedtest

Code: Select all

./SpeedTest
SpeedTest++ version 1.14
Speedtest.net command line interface
Info: https://github.com/taganaka/SpeedTest
Author: Francesco Laurita <francesco.laurita@gmail.com>

Finding fastest server... 10 Servers online
Server: San Francisco, CA sf-speedtest.race.com:8080 by Race Communications (23.0115 km from you): 3 ms
Ping: 3 ms.
Jitter: 0 ms.
Determine line type (2) ........................
Fiber / Lan line type detected: profile selected fiber

Testing download speed (32) ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Download: 9234.31 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed (12) ........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Upload: 7970.79 Mbit/s
by gatsbylee » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:59 am
I am happy with Sonic Internet 10Gbps. ( really!! )

What I've learned while working as a software engineering, lowering target ( expectation ) and hitting higher seems much better in many cases.
If Sonic says that "we offer 5Gbps" and provides more than 5Gbps, people will be happy with the extra bandwidth they got.

However, since the target is 10Gbps, when people see the bandwidth lower than 10Gbps, people get mad or bothered because it's below than the expected number.
( It's just number. And, the number is not really necessary all the time. )

I guess it's kind of tough call in terms of the business and the marketing.
Showing "10Gbps" can attract more new customers, but at the same time, Sonic needs to deal with people who complain about the lower bandwidth than 10Gbps although it is not really necessary.

Overall, I appreciate to Sonic for providing the fast Internet with the low and reasonable price.
I always wave my hand and smile to the on-site Sonic people. ( and even show the T-shirt having Sonic logo I got last year lol )

Thank you.
I wish your business run well.

Gatsby
15 posts Page 2 of 2