Finally moving to an area serviced by Sonic | WiFi/Router setup for wired backhaul?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by zacminor » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:59 pm
Hi all,
After 15 years in an SF Xfinity zone, I'm finally moving to an area serviced by Sonic!

I can't wait for Gigabit, and am looking to overhaul my network setup to take advantage. But I have a few questions about how to set things up.

My ONT is in the garage, next to 3 wired ethernet ports that route CAT6 to multiple rooms throughout the house. I don't plan to have any of my clients connected via ethernet, but I want to have 3 wireless access points connected via the wired backhaul.

I've been pretty happy with Eero in my current home, but the limited Ethernet ports are a challenge. It seems like I would need another Eero router in the garage -- in addition to the three routers for each of the access points -- PLUS a switch to be able to route signal to the three ethernet cables.

Basically: ONT -> Eero -> Switch -> wired connections -> 3 APs.

Am I thinking about this right? Are there any other solutions you can recommend that might be more streamlined? Thank you!
by ngufra » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:38 am
You definitely want to put a router before the switch so you only get one public IP from sonic and your devices can see each other as within a single local network.

I believe the main eero can act as a router. if it only has a single lan port, you will need an extra switch. these are not expensive. a small 4 ports unmanaged switch would do.
Do you really need 3 access points plus the one in the main eero?
Are all the access point behaving as router as well or just as access point?
2 posts Page 1 of 1