How to access Smart Home Manager?

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by gossamerica » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:15 pm
My Sonic internet goes through AT&T, and uses an AT&T Modem (BGW210). When I configure my home network, I see a link for Smart Home Manager, which I'd like to use for parental controls (after finding two of my kids online at 1 am). When I go to it, though, it asks for an AT&T account. Is there a way to use this feature through Sonic?
by dane » Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:06 pm
This isn’t a feature that’s available with Sonic connections and managed routers.

But as a parent, I certainly know how important it is! My approach has been to manage my children’s devices. I use Screentime to set time of day limited (“downtime” as Apple calls it) and app limits (I get to approve each app they want to install. No social media! And no web browser) on their iPad, and I use Google’s Family Link app to set similar limits on the chromebook. The Nintendo Switch also has parental controls that include time of day and total hours limits.

My kids (12/12/10) get an hour of screen time each weekend day, and they can ask for a second hour of their chores are done and they’ve played outdoors or exercised for an hour. I use the tools listed above to add that time to they device they want it on, when they ask for it. They default to their first hour on the iPad. FaceTime with friends is a separate time bucket with a larger limit. I have to approve all contacts.

When kids then 13 though, the tools remove some of the control from parents, so I may change their birthdate at that time because I’m not ready to give them unlimited access.

-Dane
Dane Jasper
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1