Begin planning phase

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
4 posts Page 1 of 1
by akraut » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:19 am
Hey folks, what does it take to push a neighborhood to begin the planning phase? How many current Fusion DSL customer? How many potentials? How many zeros on the check?
by dane » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:37 am
We prioritize our builds based upon the combination of demand and construction cost. And it’s not so much neighborhoods as cities, or at least large portions of cities. We have over half a million premises in the pipeline at this time, in about forty cities. As we get more members, we are able to build more, faster - so you can help by spreading the word about Sonic and what we are doing.
Dane Jasper
Sonic
by akraut » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:04 pm
Sadly, most of my neighbors soured and disconnected Sonic as they were unsatisfied with the quality of service offered by the Fusion 50MB service offered in conjunction with AT&T. Myself, I was spoiled by Sonic Fiber at my old house, but moved to a neighborhood where it is not yet offered. In this neighborhood there aren't other good options. My Starlink connection currently outperforms all other options (Xfinity and AT&T are the only other offerings).
by dehnert » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:41 pm
I still have my Sonic FTTN connection, but it has been configured as a backup for a Comcast 1Gb connection.

Working from home forced my hand, and I'm not happy about it. We have 6 people who use the internet for communication, work, and games all of the time. I really want to use Sonic as my provider, but with all of the people in the house it became far to easy to tie up my connection.

Most of my neighbors are luddites who just take their internet from whomever they already have for cable. They don't care who their internet provider is, and if I start talking to them they just get a confused look on their faces and find an excuse to leave the conversation. ( I have worked in IT for 30 years, so if I talk about anything my neighbors automatically assume I'm talking something way over their heads technically )

If only I knew when, or if, Sonic was planning to deploy fiber to my little corner of Rohnert Park. I really dislike Comcast, and I don't want to give them any of my money, but I don't have an option, and I fear I may never have one.

I don't recall how many years Sonic has been deploying fiber, but as far as I know they still haven't deployed anything in my town, and however many years they have been deploying fiber, it may be that many more, and then some, before they get around to my area. Who knows. I may be retired by then, or worse.
4 posts Page 1 of 1