“Upgrade” from Legacy Resold AT&T fiber to 1Gig AT&T Fiber

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by jessieandrob » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:36 pm
After speaking with a Sonic rep, it sounds like it’s still going to be some time before Sonic’s native fiber will reach us, so I wanted to check our options.

We’re currently on the resold AT&T fiber at 100Mbps. I see from Sonic’s service tool that we can get the resold 1Gbps service at our address. I understand that there’s no direct upgrade path, so we have to:
1) Cancel our current service, which will trigger a 30 day window during which our internet connection will still work. At the end of the 30 day period the current service will disconnect.
2) Around midway through the 30 days, request new service through Sonic, so that the timing on a “new” AT&T fiber connection should be seamless with almost no downtime.

I want to absolutely confirm this is right. Also, do we need an AT&T tech to enter the premises for this, or can I just self install a new RG on the existing ONT and be done with it? With the surge in BA.5, would very much prefer to do this contactless.

Last, I just want to express how much this *sucks*. I understand Sonic doesn’t really have any leverage with AT&T here, but it really feels like we’re being left out in the cold after trying to stick with Sonic.
by brandonc » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:37 am
Hi Jessie & Rob,
jessieandrob wrote:We’re currently on the resold AT&T fiber at 100Mbps. I see from Sonic’s service tool that we can get the resold 1Gbps service at our address. I understand that there’s no direct upgrade path, so we have to:
1) Cancel our current service, which will trigger a 30 day window during which our internet connection will still work. At the end of the 30 day period the current service will disconnect.
2) Around midway through the 30 days, request new service through Sonic, so that the timing on a “new” AT&T fiber connection should be seamless with almost no downtime.
Unfortunately, this is correct. However, we still can't guarantee that there won't be any downtime because if the new order happens to be ready to schedule the install while the existing service is still cancelling/active, they'll reject the order and make us re-submit a new one once the existing service is cancelled, which will delay things by another 7-10 business days.

It would only work if the existing service has already been cancelled/disconnected, so the timing can be a gamble since it depends on how quickly/slowly AT&T finishes processing the order.

We completely understand that some people cannot afford any downtime, so if that's the case, it would most likely just be easier to switch to AT&T directly. However, if you are willing to work with us through this awkward process in order to stick with us, we definitely greatly appreciate it!
jessieandrob wrote:I want to absolutely confirm this is right. Also, do we need an AT&T tech to enter the premises for this, or can I just self install a new RG on the existing ONT and be done with it? With the surge in BA.5, would very much prefer to do this contactless.
For our resold AT&T services, it's required by AT&T to send out one of their technicians to do the physical installation each time, as they have to activate the modem for your specific circuit. Also, the old service will need the equipment returned once it's cancelled, so the tech will need to install a new modem as well.

I'm sorry this process is so awkward and inefficient, but I hope that I was able to help clarify the process and make it a bit easier to plan for.

Kind regards,
Brandon C.
Community and Escalations
Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1