Trying to understand fiber options in Hayward

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
2 posts Page 1 of 1
by oddhack » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:06 pm
In the past when I plugged in my address in 94541 to the qual tool, I was told service wasn't available. Now it is offering pre-ordering of 10 GBps fiber for $39.99/month or Sonic over AT&T fiber for "$39.99/month" - which however turns into $55.99/month + $9.50/month for a WiFi gateway when I click through that link (plus, I assume, the usual $10+/month telephone taxes & fees). Am I required to pay for the WiFi gateway (which I definitely do not need)?

What does the 10 GBps pre-order option imply - what service, if any, would I actually get now if I signed up for it? I see no sign of Sonic expanding their network to Hayward in the forums, and there's no indication of how long I might be waiting. Is this just holding a place in line?

The Sonic over AT&T order page shows the following, but what is a "Fiber Pre-Order Special until you upgrade"? Does that mean this price will continue until Sonic rolls its own fiber here?

YOUR SONIC ORDER SUMMARY
Monthly Charges
Fusion IPBB-F $69.99
ATA Rental $6.50
Modem Rental $9.50
One-Time Fees
Installation Fee $0
Discounts
Sonic $10 for 12 Mos
Save $10 for 12 months
-$10/mo
Fiber Pre-Order Special
Save $20 per month until you upgrade.
-$20/mo
Today's Sonic Total ?: $55.99

Finally, how much input do I have over where the fiber comes into the house? I assume that Sonic over AT&T implies an AT&T installer. Currently cable is routed under the house and comes up in a hall closet, from whence there's an cable patch panel to get signal to my office. But the house has no internal optical fiber or ethernet wiring, and I need a hardwired solution running to my office.

AT&T's pricing is more comprehensible. They charge $80/month for fiber and a WiFi gateway, without any add-ons, and kick back $250 in gift cards.
by syntaxsid1 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:14 am
Hello,

We apologize for the confusion around this. The 10Gb is 100% Sonic with no AT&T involvement whatsoever and has the most freedom to route the lines however you would like. A pre-order means we're coming to your location but there are delays during our construction phase that are from unforeseen complications or delays out of our control encountered in the field. Due to this variable, we wouldn't be able to accurately provide an accurate timeline estimate to when it will actually be available. Once it is ready though, we'll immediately let you know.

The Sonic service over AT&T would be available now and the installation is done by AT&T. They typically do run the Fiber line in the shortest distance from the pole to your home and terminate at the Fiber modem. From there, it would be Ethernet throughout. If you have a patch panel and Ethernet ports installed in the various rooms of the house, you can ask the technician during the install to utilize that or they may just run a basic single line into the home if no preference is provided to them. AT&T will follow your instruction within reason to where you need the device, just be sure to instruct them on this during the install. The technician will give you immediate feedback if there are complications or restrictions on how you want the cable routed.

The "Fiber Pre-Order Special until you upgrade" is exactly what you stated. You will have special discounted pricing on the resold AT&T service until our 10G lines are fully available and installed. Another thing to note is that while AT&T does this to their own direct customers, going with Sonic means there are NO data caps/limits and Sonic does not throttle your speed if you use over a certain amount of bandwidth. You are free to use as much data as you want, whenever you want to with no penalties. Our price doesn't fluctuate as much as our corporate counterparts and there are no annual hikes or price gouges every few years. If something is wrong with your service, our customer support center typically picks up on the first few rings and there is no phone tree to navigate. You will always get someone local that speaks English every time rather than speaking to someone halfway across the world. These are some of the main reasons why folks go with us over AT&T or Comcast directly. We hope this information helps. Have a great day.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
2 posts Page 1 of 1