San Mateo - 10GB performance issues

Internet access discussion, including Fusion, IP Broadband, and Gigabit Fiber!
3 posts Page 1 of 1
by negatedvoid » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:52 am
Hey,
I've had 10GB service in San Mateo for about 2 weeks now.

For the majority of it, I've been getting about 4.5Gbps up and 3.5Gbps down. For the past day or two, though, it's been ~60Mbps down and 3.5Gbps up. My home network can handle the 10Gbit connection, that's not the issue.

Does anyone know what speeds I should be expecting, or how I should report performance issues?

I also experienced an hour-long outage three days ago (interestingly i could access servers on sonic's direct network but not on the external internet), and emailed support and i've never heard back.
by syntaxsid1 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:05 am
Hello,

We're sorry to hear about the trouble with your service. 60Mbps is absolutely slow in regards to your total available speed. We recommend calling our support team when you have a speed drop like this so we can help you determine what is happening at that moment. The line for that is 707-547-3400. Before calling we'll want to know if the speed tests were performed over Ethernet cable directly connected to the router or if this was over WiFi. WiFi speeds do vary depending on external factors. If you have enough RF interference around your place, your available speed (only over WiFi) will be impacted.

You can also try connecting your computer directly to the Fiber modem (bypassing your router) to see if the speed is more consistent there. This will determine if the issue is with the WiFi equipment specifically, if you still get lower speeds using Ethernet to your WiFi router. Our support team is always available 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm so you can call us at your convenience. We hope to hear from you soon. Take care.
Jeff M. with Community Escalations @ Sonic
by alexz » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:01 pm
syntaxsid1 wrote:Hello,

We're sorry to hear about the trouble with your service. 60Mbps is absolutely slow in regards to your total available speed. We recommend calling our support team when you have a speed drop like this so we can help you determine what is happening at that moment. The line for that is 707-547-3400. Before calling we'll want to know if the speed tests were performed over Ethernet cable directly connected to the router or if this was over WiFi. WiFi speeds do vary depending on external factors. If you have enough RF interference around your place, your available speed (only over WiFi) will be impacted.

You can also try connecting your computer directly to the Fiber modem (bypassing your router) to see if the speed is more consistent there. This will determine if the issue is with the WiFi equipment specifically, if you still get lower speeds using Ethernet to your WiFi router. Our support team is always available 7 days a week from 8am to 10pm so you can call us at your convenience. We hope to hear from you soon. Take care.
I'm seeing something similar with the 10G fiber in Oakland. I called and it was diagnosed as a bad router (EdgeRouter-X so yeah it's garbage). I've swapped it (and the cable to the ONT) out with another ER-X just in case and the problem persists. I've setup some monitoring from a wired connection and:

- Occasional packet loss (3-60%) to 8.8.8.8 and lo0.bras1.okldca04.sonic.net (as this is typically the first hop)
- Occasional spikes in latency to 8.8.8.8 from a normal ~3 ms to to ~100 ms
- Occasional spikes in latency to lo0.bras1.okldca04.sonic.net (this is where it gets weird) of up to 2.5 seconds.

And yeah WiFi throughput of 100 Mbps or less (via fast.com) when the network is acting up. Are you sure there's no equipment configuration issue on Sonic's end? I want to say this wasn't happening until after the 14 July "Fiber Intrusive Maintenance", but I wasn't really paying attention as I expected the connection to be more reliable.

H/T to the installer tho, super friendly. The switch was a dud though (dead port).
3 posts Page 1 of 1